Join the Berrien Springs Garden Club for a free tour of the spectacular Sawyer Home & Garden Center including their Farm Market! Sample new jams, have a hot chocolate, and take home a fresh holiday wreath! Sunday Dec. 3, 2023 3-5 PM 5865 Sawyer Rd Sawyer MI 49125 Meet us there, or carpool from Berrien Springs at 2:15 PM. Email email@example.com by Nov 30th if you need a ride.
A DIY Guide
A DIY Guide to Better Sexual Health: Taming Your Tiger
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“A DIY Guide to Better Sexual Health: Taming Your Tiger”
» THE TIGER
• 64% of young people, ages 13–24, actively seek out pornography weekly or more often.
• A study of 14- to 19-year-olds found that females who consumed pornographic videos were at a significantly greater likelihood of being victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault.
• A Swedish study of 18-year-old males found that frequent consumers of pornography were significantly more likely to have sold and bought sex than other boys of the same age.
• A 2015 meta-analysis of 22 studies from seven countries found that internationally the consumption of pornography was significantly associated with increases in verbal and physical aggression, among males and females alike.
• Porn sites receive more regular traffic than Netflix, Amazon, & Twitter combined each month.
• 35% of all internet downloads are porn-related.
• The “teen” porn category has topped porn site searches for the last six years.
• At least 30% of all data transferred across the internet is porn-related.
• Recorded child sexual exploitation (known as “child porn”) is one of the fastest-growing online businesses.
• 624,000+ child porn traders have been discovered online in the U.S.
• Porn is a global, estimated $97 billion industry, with about $12 billion of that coming from the U.S.
• In 2018 alone, more than 5,517,000,000 hours of porn were consumed on the world’s largest porn site.
• The world’s largest free porn site also received over 33,500,000,000 site visits during 2018 alone.
• National Center on Sexual Exploitation (www.endsexualexploitation.org/wp-content/uploads/NCOSE_Pornography-PublicHealth_ResearchSummary_8-2_17_FINAL-with-logo.pdf)
• Denny Burk: “A growing number of young men are convinced that their sexual responses have been sabotaged because their brains were virtually marinated in porn when they were adolescents. Their generation has consumed explicit content in
quantities and varieties never before possible, on devices designed to deliver content swiftly and privately, all at an age when their brains were more plastic—more prone to permanent change—than in later life.” (in Meet Generation Z 61)
» THE TAMING
• Luke 5:17-20
• Desire of Ages: “Oh, wondrous love of Christ, stooping to heal the guilty and the afflicted! Divinity sorrowing over and soothing the ills of suffering humanity! Oh, marvelous power thus displayed to the children of men! Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?” (269)
Five Steps (Maybe Six) to Overcoming Pornographic Addiction*
» Admit your .
• To yourself for honesty—Romans 7:14-15
• To God for help—2 Chronicles 20:12
» Confess your .
• To Jesus for cleansing—1 John 1:7
• To someone else for accountability—James 5:16**
» Surrender your and .
• To the Holy Spirit—1 Corinthians 6:18-20
• To the Lord—Joshua 24:15
» Worship your .
• Daily through prayer—Daniel 6:10/Psalm 55:17
• Daily through His Word—Joshua 1:7-8/Psalm 119:9-11
» Consecrate your .
• Take up your cross—Mark 8:34-35
• Obey His commands—Luke 19:13
» Turn in your .
• Jesus’ radical counsel—Matthew 5:29-30
• The Father’s radical warning—Revelation 21:6-8
*For further study/reflection:
** ADVENTIST RECOVERY MINISTRIES: The Journey to Wholeness (firstname.lastname@example.org)/GROW Groups: “Sexual Purity for Men” & “Conquer”
“Friend, your sins are forgiven”
The Social Sciences and Social Justice club is a department club on campus that is currently running a clothing drive this semester where we are collecting clothes from students, staff, and faculty on campus to create a pop-up thrift store in December for
a fundraiser. This fundraiser's profit will be going towards Phoenicia Finesse, a project in Lebanon that helps fund reusable napkins for women in need, as well as educating them on menstrual cycles. We currently have a drop-off box in the Campus Center as well as in the PMC lobby, so any donations are appreciated! The pop-up will be on December 3rd from 3-6 PM, so if you would like to donate, please come by!
The Series continues each Sabbath through December 16. Come join us in PMC Room 141 each Sabbath morning from 10:30-11:30. Everyone is welcome on Sabbath mornings from 10:30-11:30 AM in Room 141
Have you tried the new elevator yet? It is complete and the glass door is installed. Many seniors and others with a need for transportation between floors are now able to reach the sanctuary and the lower level. What a blessing! Will you help us reach the goal of having it fully paid for by December of this year? We are over ¾ of the way there. See our temperature gauge in the lobby to see the weekly progress on the last quarter. We can make this happen! Please help pray for the completion of our Fundraising goal. As of 9/23/23, there is $770,105 that has been raised with $229,895 to reach our goal!
The Siegfried H. Horn Archaeological Museum is looking for volunteers to help open the museum to the community from 3-5 PM on Sabbath afternoons. If you are interested in Biblical history and how archaeology supports the Scripture, and you would like to share that with others, join our museum docent team. Please call the Assistant Curator at 269-471-6180 or email email@example.com for more information and ask for an application form.
Each Sabbath morning at both 1st and 2nd services, people gather in "The Prayer Room" to pray for the church service, the participants, the congregants (both in-house and online), and for the prayer requests submitted each week on the Connect Cards (anonymously; requestor names are not included). We participate in the congregational prayer and listen to the sermon on a monitor provided in The Prayer Room. We are in need of more volunteers for both services. You can set your own schedule - once a month, one month a quarter, two months a year, whatever works best for you! If you have a heart to pray for others or are simply looking for more information, please contact Deb Montcalm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join our Wednesday gathering on Zoom as we share and pray together.