Out of His deep love for humanity, God changes our lives and asks us to move His love into our community and world. We are uniquely positioned at Andrews University to share the story of God’s love from the residence halls to the farthest parts of the earth. We accomplish our mission by engaging people across generations to be disciples of Jesus through the process of Connect. Grow. Serve. Go.
Your financial gift helps support ministry here at Pioneer. From local to global ministry, keeping our facility safe and clean, to outreach and family growth activities, it all provides a space to worship, learn, and grow together. We invite you to Give Purposefully, Give Faithfully, and Give Joyfully.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
»A Love Song in the Vineyard
• Song of Solomon 1 & 8/Isaiah 5:1-7
»A Parable about the Vineyard
• Matthew 21:33-43/John 15
»This may be the most important truth you have yet to learn:
• John 15:1-5, 8, 16
• Jesus talks about “fruit” seven times.
• What kind of fruit?
• Craig Keener: “In Palestine, the grapes ripen in late summer as the shoots stop growing and the bark changes from green to darker shortly before the vintage of August or September. Yet John writes figuratively; of what sort of fruit does the passage speak? . . . [T]he immediate context . . . suggests fruit.” (The Gospel of John: A Commentary 2:997)
• Galatians 5:22-23—“But the fruit of the is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
• Desire of Ages: “The life of Christ in you produces the same as in Him. Living in Christ, adhering to Christ, supported by Christ, drawing nourishment from Christ, you bear fruit after the similitude of Christ.”(677)
• Acts of the Apostles: “The sap of the vine, ascending from the root, is diffused to the branches, sustaining growth and producing blossoms and fruit. So the life-giving power of the , proceeding from the Saviour, pervades the soul, renews the motives and affections, and brings even the thoughts into obedience to the will of God, enabling the receiver to bear the precious fruit of holy deeds.” (284)
• But what about pruning (John 15:2)?
• Hebrews 5:8—“During the days of Jesus' life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the One who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission. Son though He was, He learned obedience from what He .”
• 2 Corinthians 12:8-10—“Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ . . . That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am , then I am strong.”
• Philippians 3:10—“I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His , becoming like Him in His death.”
• Hebrews 12:10-11—“Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness [“Become like Me”]. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces the of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained [pruned] by it.”
• 2 Timothy 3:12—“Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus [connected to the Vine] will be [pruned].”
• Mark 10:30—Jesus promises all who give up all to follow Him will be rewarded a hundred times as much in this life with “ .”
• The point: we won’t get through this life without being .
• Desire of Ages: “The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart.  There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God.  The excessive foliage that draws away the life current [sap] from the must be pruned off.  The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant.” (677)
• Andrew Murray: “Christian, pray for grace to see in every trouble, small or great, the Father’s finger pointing to Jesus, and saying, Abide in Him! . . . A believer may pass through much affliction and yet secure but little blessing from it all. Abiding in Christ is the secret of securing all that the Father the chastisement to bring us.” (Abiding in Christ 122-123)
• “I will put my in Him.” (Hebrews 2:13)
• “Prune me, dear Father, that there may be more fruit . . . in my life . . . for Your glory.”
You gotta have fruit!
Offering for July 2, 2022
Pioneer Operating Budget
Hasten His Coming
Matthew 24:14 “And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.”
We worship with our tithe and offerings because we wait eagerly to see our God face to face. The Scripture associates the Second Coming with the proclamation of the gospel to the whole world (Matt. 24:14). He desires all to come to repentance (2 Pet. 3:9). Our involvement in doing and supporting God’s mission makes it possible for others to hear and receive the good news.
Peter describes the waiting experience as an active one: “as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.” Ellen G. White clarifies Peter’s words: “By giving the gospel to the world it is in our power to hasten our Lord's return. We are not only to look for but to hasten the coming of the day of God” (The Desire of Ages, 633, 634). It appears that God has given us the possibility to hasten His coming.
The example of a sled helps us to understand the meaning of hastening His return. If you put a sled at the top of a hill and allow it to glide, it will reach the bottom after some time. This is the natural course due to gravity and normal force. However, kids who like playing in the snow know that you can speed up your sled as it goes downhill. Among other tricks, you can spray cooking oil at the bottom of the sled, pack down the snow on the track, stay low on the sled, or balance your weight on the sled. As a result, you go faster, and it is more fun. In the same way, the reality of His Second Coming is unalterable; it will take place, but it can happen earlier if we associate with Him to reach out to others.
Are we going to forsake this opportunity to speed up his coming? This week, as we worship with our tithe and regular offerings we can reveal how hard we wish for the Second Coming.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Rocky Railway VBS
July 11-15 from 9-11:45 AM at Niles Westside Adventist Church (1105 Grant St, Niles). Join us for Bible stories, crafts, games, and more! Please pre-register ASAP at www.NilesWestside.org or by calling 269-683-5998.
Something in Common
From Anger to Intimacy with Gary Smalley DVD series
June 11-Anger: Stuff It, Spew It, or Study It
June 18-Personal Responsibility and Emotions
June 25- The Spirit of Forgiveness
July 2- Crafting the Perfect Apology
July 9-Roadblocks to Forgiveness
July 16- Forgiving the Difficult, Addicted or Cheating Spouse
Everyone is welcome Sabbath mornings from 10:30-11:30 in PMC room 141.
Church Access for Attendees with Physical Challenges
Pioneer is pleased to announce that transportation will be provided for Sabbath services for attendees with physical challenges who would have trouble in negotiating stairs.
Pioneer Traffic and Deacon teams will transport attendees by golf carts from the canopy entrance to the doors at the east entrance (JN Andrews statue). At the end of the service, attendees will be invited to return to the door and alert a greeter to contact the cart that will transport them to their cars.
If you would like to be picked up from your car at the start of the service instead of at the canopy entrance, please call the church office on (269) 471-3133 by Friday at 10:00 AM and supply the following information:
Name(s) of attendees
Make, model, and color of car
Estimated time of arrival
We hope that this interim measure will be a helpful blessing to you.
Ministry Design Project Submission
Ministry and Grow Group Leaders: We are here to help you create appealing materials both digital and in print in order to familiarize people with your ministry or upcoming event. Because we support many ministries, kindly provide us with at least 10 design days from the time we receive your project details to completion. Additional time may be needed for printing and shipping when applicable. Submit your project online today at pmchurch.org/design/submit. -Pioneer Media Ministry