Beginning on Wednesday (7PM), August 17, House of Prayer/PM will slowly climb the summit of the Bible, Romans chapter 8. It will be a simple word by word reflection. Through discussion and meditation you’re invited to recover and revisit the heart of the gospel, the heart of God. Join the conversation and prayers in the youth chapel any Wednesday you’re free.
Gone to the Birds
Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist - Part 4
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Gone to the Birds: Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist"—4
The Rooster and the Dove
- The Rooster
- Mark 14:66-72
- Desire of Ages: "In that gentle countenance [Peter] read deep pity and sorrow, but there was no anger there. The sight of that pale, suffering face, those quivering lips, that look of compassion and forgiveness, pierced his heart like an arrow. Conscience was aroused. Memory was active. . . . Once more he looked at his Master, and saw a sacrilegious hand raised to smite Him in the face. Unable longer to endure the scene, he rushed, heartbroken, from the hall." (713)
- The Dove
- Mark 1:9-13
- Matthew 10:16—"'I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.'"
- 1 Corinthians 10:13—"No temptation has seized you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
- 2 Kings 6:12—"'None of us, my lord the king,' said one of his officers, 'but Elisha the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom.'"
- Psalm 50:15—"Call upon Me in the day of trouble and I will deliver you!"
- John 16:13—"'But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.'"
- Isaiah 30:21—"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'"
- 1 Corinthians 8:4, 7—"So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. . . . But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled."
- Romans 14:23—"But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin."
- SDA Bible Commentary: "The Christian should never violate his conscience. It may require educating. It may tell him that certain things are wrong that in themselves may not be wrong. But until convinced by the Word and the Spirit of God that a certain course is proper for him, he ought not to pursue it. He must not make others the criterion for his conduct; he must go to the Scriptures and learn for himself his duty in the matter." (SDABC 5:641)
- The Dove and the Rooster
- Our High Calling: "As we yield to the influence of the Spirit of God [the Dove], our conscience [the Rooster] becomes tender and sensitive, and sin that we have passed by with little thought, becomes exceeding sinful." (153)
- Which is why we must ask for both Gifts:
Dear God—give to me please a clear conscience sensitive to sin. I don't want to drink the Kool Aid and suck up the poison. I know full well what sin is—my conscience immediately goes into Red Alert. So please grant me Your power to obey Your Voice. And please give to me, dear Jesus, Your baptism of the Holy Spirit. Even as He came upon you, let Him come upon me, too—everyday. So that daily I might hear and obey the loving voice of Your Spirit through my Conscience, I humbly pray. Amen.
2 Birds, 2 Gifts, 1 Voice
Would you like to be a blessing to someone during difficult times? Sign up to be placed on the list to donate food for funeral receptions. This is an easy way to share and such a blessing for the families. Call the church office at 269-471-3133 (Heidi Ha) with your name and phone number or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pioneer's Homebound Ministry is looking for names and contact information of people who are homebound and in need of some personalized attention. Text your information to 262-825-3632.
Pioneer is pleased to announce that transportation will be provided for Sabbath services for attendees with physical challenges who would have trouble in negotiating stairs.
Pioneer Traffic and Deacon teams will transport attendees by golf carts from the canopy entrance to the doors at the east entrance (JN Andrews statue). At the end of the service, attendees will be invited to return to the door and alert a greeter to contact the cart that will transport them to their cars.
If you would like to be picked up from your car at the start of the service instead of at the canopy entrance, please call the church office on (269) 471-3133 by Friday at 10:00 AM and supply the following information:
- Name(s) of attendees
- Service attending
- Make, model, and color of car
- Estimated time of arrival
We hope that this interim measure will be a helpful blessing to you.
Pioneer’s Preschool Pray & Play group provides families who are welcoming new children into their homes (by birth, adoption, foster care, etc.) with meals. You don't need to cook to help out! We're in need of people who can:
- make and deliver meals
- order take-out and deliver it
- help us identify families who are expecting new children
As we get more volunteers, we're hoping to expand this ministry to help families identify the many rich resources available to them at Pioneer and in our community. We want to be the hands of Jesus to new parents and their kids in as families grow.
Ministry and Grow Group Leaders: We are here to help you create appealing materials both digital and in print in order to familiarize people with your ministry or upcoming event. Because we support many ministries, kindly provide us with at least 10 design days from the time we receive your project details to completion. Additional time may be needed for printing and shipping when applicable. Submit your project online today at pmchurch.org/design/submit. -Pioneer Media Ministry