Beginning on Wednesday (7PM), August 17, House of Prayer/PM will slowly climb the summit of the Bible, Romans chapter 8. It will be a simple word by word reflection. Through discussion and meditation you’re invited to recover and revisit the heart of the gospel, the heart of God. Join the conversation and prayers in the youth chapel any Wednesday you’re free.
Gone to the Birds
Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist - Part 3
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Gone to the Birds: Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist"—3
- Matthew 23:37
- Jesus: "How often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you would not."
- Craig Keener: "Jewish tradition claimed that Jewish people were under God's wings, and when a Jewish person converted a Gentile, he or she brought that Gentile 'under the wings of God's presence.'" (The IVP Bible Background Commentary 111)
- "No more poignant or tender expression of solicitude ever came from the lips of Jesus." (SDABC 5:493)
- Desire of Ages: "Divine pity marked the countenance of the Son of God as He cast one lingering look upon the temple and then upon His hearers. In a voice choked by deep anguish of heart and bitter tears He exclaimed, 'O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!' This is the separation struggle. In the lamentation of Christ the very heart of God is pouring itself forth. It is the mysterious farewell of the long-suffering love of the Deity." (620)
- Psalm 91
- KJV (vv1-2)—"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High [Elyon] shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty [Shaddai]. I will say of the LORD [Yahweh], He is my refuge and my fortress: my God [Elohim]; in him will I trust."
- Ellen White: "God's commandment-keeping people stand under the broad shield of Omnipotence." (8T 120)
- Psalm 124:7—"We have escaped like a bird from the fowler's snare; the snare has been broken, and we have escaped."
- NET Bible dictionary: "FOWLER: A professional birdcatcher. In the days previous to firearms, birds were captured with nets spread on the ground, in traps and snares. . . . or the use of the throw-stick (Ecclesiasticus 11:30). This was a stick 1 1/2 feet in length and 1/2 inches in diameter, hurled with a rotary motion at the legs of the birds and was very effective when thrown into flocks of ground birds, such as partridge or quail, especially if the birds were running up hill." (http://classic.net.bible.org/dictionary.php?word=FOWLER)
- Ecclesiastes 9:12—"Moreover, no one knows when their hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so people are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them."
- Patriarchs and Prophets: "The great mass of the world will reject God's mercy, and will be overwhelmed in swift and irretrievable ruin. But those who heed the warning shall dwell 'in the secret place of the Most High,' and 'abide under the shadow of the Almighty.'" (167)
- Psalm 91:4—"He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge."
- Psalm 17:8-9—"Keep me as the apple of Your eye; hide me under the shadow of Your wings, from the wicked who oppress me, from my deadly enemies who surround me."
- Psalm 57:1—"Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by."
- Psalm 91:11—the line Satan left out—"He will guard you in all your ways."
- Memorize Psalm 91—
- "Let the more important passages of Scripture [e.g., Psalm 91] . . . be committed to memory, not as a task, but as a privilege. Though at first the memory may be defective, it will gain strength by exercise . . ." (CG 511)
- According to the Journal of the American Medical Association (Vol 287, No 6, p 742), the National Institute of Aging found that "adults who regularly participate in intellectually stimulating activities [such as memorization] may reduce their risk of developing dementia such as Alzheimer's disease by as much as 47%."
"Under His wings I am safely abiding"
William Orcutt Cushing
Summer is rapidly coming to an end, and soon it will be time for Fall Grow Groups! Right now we’re looking for dedicated individuals who are excited to share their passions and grow their faith by leading small groups. Fall Grow Groups will meet September 18-December 10, 2022. If you’re interested in leading, text LEAD to 269-281-2345 or visit pmchurch.org/grow. The deadline to register a group is August 20. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Would you like to be a blessing to someone during difficult times? Sign up to be placed on the list to donate food for funeral receptions. This is an easy way to share and such a blessing for the families. Call the church office at 269-471-3133 (Heidi Ha) with your name and phone number or email them to email@example.com.
Future Family DVD series with Andy Stanley Family. We all have one. While some of us loved our "growin up" years, others of us couldn't wait to move out and start fresh. Either way, we want our Future Family to be a step up from our families of origin. Most of us want something better for our children.
July 23--Ideally Speaking
July 30--Power Down
August 6--Common Cause
August 13--All the Fixin's
August 20--Our Way, A Way
August 27--The Echo
Come join us in PMC room 141
Register now for an uplifting and spirit-filled weekend at Camp au Sable. The annual District Nine Family Camp is Labor Day weekend, September 2-5, 2022. Application materials can be found at http://districtnine.wix.com/home.
Join us as we beautify our building and grounds for the beginning of the new school year.
Berrien County Department of Health and Human Services Director, Emersond Jean-Baptiste, has a challenge to every church in Berrien County to find ways to be a cornerstone in impacting the lives of children and families. There are 60 foster homes in
our county and over 200 kids in foster care. This is a great opportunity to make a "Love on the Move" difference in the life of a child. Reach out to me and together with Emersond we can discuss ways to do exactly that. For more information contact Carol Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pioneer's Homebound Ministry is looking for names and contact information of people who are homebound and in need of some personalized attention. Text your information to 262-825-3632.
Pioneer is pleased to announce that transportation will be provided for Sabbath services for attendees with physical challenges who would have trouble in negotiating stairs.
Pioneer Traffic and Deacon teams will transport attendees by golf carts from the canopy entrance to the doors at the east entrance (JN Andrews statue). At the end of the service, attendees will be invited to return to the door and alert a greeter to contact the cart that will transport them to their cars.
If you would like to be picked up from your car at the start of the service instead of at the canopy entrance, please call the church office on (269) 471-3133 by Friday at 10:00 AM and supply the following information:
- Name(s) of attendees
- Service attending
- Make, model, and color of car
- Estimated time of arrival
We hope that this interim measure will be a helpful blessing to you.