Galaxy Three: Why What Is Happening a Billion Light Years Away Right Now Matters to You
Galaxy Three: The HP Factor
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
Why What Is Happening a Billion Light Years Away Right Now Matters to You” [The HP Factor]
□ Hebrews 1:1—“Long ago God spoke.”
Two universal realities embedded in this four-word opening salvo:
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. . . . And God said, ‘Let there be
light.’” (Genesis 1:1-3)
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . .
Through Him all things were made.” (John 1:1-3)
“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him must
believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.” (Hebrews 11:6)
“You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you.”
(Jeremiah 29:13, 14)
- Two universal realities embedded in this four-word opening salvo:
- □ “Yet hope is not lost. The King mysteriously rises from the dead, Conqueror of the Rebel and evil. Now, returned to the throne, the King commands the endgame of the final battle to save the rebel planet, rescue Galaxy Three and restore freedom to the universe . . . .”
□ Hebrews 1:1-4
Chiasm—a literary device that utilizes a unique parallel pattern for
clarification and/or emphasis: A-B-C- . . . C’-B’-A’.
A The Son contrasted with the (vv 1-2a) B The Son as messianic (v 2b)
C The Son’s work (v 2c)
D The Son’s threefold mediatorial relationship to
C’ The Son’s work (v 3c)
B’ The Son as messianic (v 3d) A’ The Son contrasted with the (v 4)
- The Son is the great divine on behalf of the Throne of the universe and all intelligent life.
- Peter O’Brien: “The Son is the exact representation, the embodiment of God, as he really is. His being is made manifest in Christ, so that to see the Son is to see what the Father is like. . . . Together, then, these magnificent affirmations [at the heart of this chiasm] show that the Son manifests the person and presence of God. He is able to be God’s historical self- revelation because he is identified with Yahweh [the great I AM] himself.” (The Letter to the Hebrews 55)
- Only in Hebrews is Jesus Christ called the great of the fallen human race.
- “‘The whole argument of the Epistle revolves around the idea of the Son who has become the perfect high priest by his death and exaltation.’” (O’Brien 59)
No wonder the author of Hebrews repeatedly appeals to us to look at Him! Hebrews 2:9—“But we Jesus.”
Hebrews 3:1—“Fix your on Jesus.”
Hebrews 12:2—“Let us fix our on Jesus.”
- Steps to Christ: “Such is the character of Christ as revealed in His life. This is the character of God. It is from the Father’s heart that the streams of divine compassion, manifest in Christ, flow out to the children of men. Jesus, the tender, pitying Saviour, was God ‘manifest in the flesh.’ It was to redeem us that Jesus lived and suffered and died.” (12)
- Chiasm—a literary device that utilizes a unique parallel pattern for