Out of His deep love for humanity, God changes our lives and asks us to move His love into our community and world. We are uniquely positioned at Andrews University to share the story of God’s love from the residence halls to the farthest parts of the earth. We accomplish our mission by engaging people across generations to be disciples of Jesus through the process of Connect. Grow. Serve. Go.
Your financial gift helps support ministry here at Pioneer. From local to global ministry, keeping our facility safe and clean, to outreach and family growth activities, it all provides a space to worship, learn, and grow together. We invite you to Give Purposefully, Give Faithfully, and Give Joyfully.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Brigham Young University studied 2035 married people:
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
• Mike Mason: “Is there any other activity at all which an adult man and woman may engage in together (apart from worship) that is actually more childlike, more clean and pure, more natural and wholesome and unequivocally right than is the act of love making? . . . Surely is the deepest communion that is possible between human beings.” (The Mystery of Marriage: As Iron Sharpens Iron 121)
• JESUS&SEX #2—We have it.
- Matthew 5:27-28
• How the enemy deceives us into denting this gift?
- Pornographic sex is sex marriage—sex usually with yourself.
- Premarital sex is sex marriage—sex with someone else.
- Extramarital sex is sex of marriage—sex with someone who isn’t your spouse.
• Lust simply defined means—”I gotta have it .”
• The Rooster and the “Coolidge Effect”
• Jennifer Schwirtzer: “The point of this story is that sexuality, especially male sexuality, tends to be novelty-driven. Male rats will copulate, then tire and stop sexual activity until scientists drop a new female rat into the cage, when suddenly the male feels his mojo return. He will continue to copulate with each partner until he literally dies of exhaustion. Clearly, this novelty-driven sexuality moves in the opposite direction from God’s plan of long-term faithfulness to one partner.” (13 Weeks to Love 63)
• A proverb: “Why buy the cow, if you can get the milk for ?”
• “Just the right amount of wrong.”
• Proverbs 6:25, 27, 32—”Do not lust in your heart after her [his] beauty or let her [him] captivate you with her [his] eyes. . . . Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? . . . But a man who commits adultery has no sense; whoever does so destroys himself.”
“I Then Shall Live”
I then shall live as one who’s been forgiven.
I’ll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father;
I am His child and I am not afraid.
So, greatly pardoned, I’ll forgive my brother;
The law of love I gladly will obey.
I then shall live as one who’s learned compassion.
I’ve been so loved, that I’ll risk loving too.
I know how fear builds walls instead of bridges;
I’ll dare to see another’s point of view.
And when relationships demand commitment,
Then I’ll be there to care and follow through.
Your Kingdom come around and through and in me;
Your power and glory, let them shine through me.
Your Hallowed Name, O may I bear with honor,
And may Your living Kingdom come in me.
The Bread of Life, O may I share with honor,
And may You feed a hungry world through me.
—David Phelps/Gloria Gaither
Something In Common Sabbath School
Relat(able)-video series with Louie Giglio. What if instead of looking for the right person, we become that person, that friend or spouse everyone is looking for? What if we start holding ourselves to the standards we expect of those around us? We only have one life to leave a permanent mark on eternity; why not make our relationships count?
September 3 - The Shovel and the Spoon
September 10 - The Man/Woman in the Mirror
September 17 - A God to Call Father
September 24 - The Friend Everyone Longs For
October 1 - Becoming Someone vs. Finding Someone
October 8 - Handshake of Peace
October 15 - Why Date?
October 22 - Marriage with a Mission
Everyone is welcome.
Pioneer Room 141
Sabbath, 10:30-11:30 AM
Romans 8 - The Mountaintop of Scripture
Beginning on Wednesday (7PM), August 17, House of Prayer/PM will slowly climb the summit of the Bible, Romans chapter 8. It will be a simple word by word reflection. Through discussion and meditation you’re invited to recover and revisit the heart of the gospel, the heart of God. Join the conversation and prayers in the youth chapel any Wednesday you’re free.
Food Donation for Funerals
Would you like to be a blessing to someone during difficult times? Sign up to be placed on the list to donate food for funeral receptions. This is an easy way to share and such a blessing for the families. Call the church office at 269-471-3133 (Heidi Ha) with your name and phone number or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Homebound Ministry Reaching Out
Pioneer's Homebound Ministry is looking for names and contact information of people who are homebound and in need of some personalized attention. Text your information to 262-825-3632.
Church Access for Attendees with Physical Challenges
Pioneer is pleased to announce that transportation will be provided for Sabbath services for attendees with physical challenges who would have trouble in negotiating stairs.
Pioneer Traffic and Deacon teams will transport attendees by golf carts from the canopy entrance to the doors at the east entrance (JN Andrews statue). At the end of the service, attendees will be invited to return to the door and alert a greeter to contact the cart that will transport them to their cars.
If you would like to be picked up from your car at the start of the service instead of at the canopy entrance, please call the church office on (269) 471-3133 by Friday at 10:00 AM and supply the following information:
Name(s) of attendees
Make, model, and color of car
Estimated time of arrival
We hope that this interim measure will be a helpful blessing to you.
Meals for Moms
Pioneer’s Preschool Pray & Play group provides families who are welcoming new children into their homes (by birth, adoption, foster care, etc.) with meals. You don't need to cook to help out! We're in need of people who can:
make and deliver meals
order take-out and deliver it
help us identify families who are expecting new children
As we get more volunteers, we're hoping to expand this ministry to help families identify the many rich resources available to them at Pioneer and in our community. We want to be the hands of Jesus to new parents and their kids in as families grow.
Ministry and Grow Group Leaders: We are here to help you create appealing materials both digital and in print in order to familiarize people with your ministry or upcoming event. Because we support many ministries, kindly provide us with at least 10 design days from the time we receive your project details to completion. Additional time may be needed for printing and shipping when applicable. Submit your project online today at pmchurch.org/design/submit. -Pioneer Media Ministry