2017 Holiday Season
In the Presence of a King, Don't Ask for Small Gifts
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"In the Presence of a King, Don’t Ask for Small Gifts"
- Gift #1
- Galatians 4:4-5
- Steps to Christ: "He who was one with God has linked Himself with the children of men by ties that are never to be broken. . . . When Christ took human nature upon Him, He bound humanity [us commoners] to Himself [the Royal] by a tie of love that can never be broken by any power save the choice of man himself." (14, 72)
- Carl Cosaert: "Adoption was a legally binding agreement that guaranteed a number of privileges: (1) the adopted son became the true son of his adoptive father; (2) the father agreed to provide all the necessities of food and clothing; (3) the adopted son could not be repudiated; (4) the adopted son could not be reduced to slavery; (5) the natural parents were never allowed to reclaim the adopted son; (6) and adoption mandated the right of inheritance." (Galatians: A Fiery Response to a Struggling Church 88)
- Gift #2
- Galatians 4:6-7
- John Witvliet: "Here are two missions, two gifts, two experiences of grace: God sent his Son, and then God sent the Spirit of his Son. The first gift arrived in Bethlehem. The second arrives deep within the souls of believers. The first Christmas gift came then and there. The second comes again and again in the here and now. Indeed, every single time anyone anywhere professes 'Jesus is Lord,' we can be grateful for the work of the Spirit (1 Cor. 12:3)." (Christianity Today December 2017 p58)
- Gregory Boyd: "My life is Christ—nothing else really matters" is essentially "My life is the Holy Spirit—nothing else really matters."
- Ellen White: "When the Spirit was poured out from on high, the church was flooded with light, but Christ was that Light; the church was filled with joy, but Christ was the subject of that joy. When the Spirit is poured upon His people in this day, Christ's name will be upon every tongue, His love will fill every soul; and when the heart embraces Jesus, it will embrace God; for all the fullness of God dwells in Christ." (Ye Shall Receive Power 332)
- Desire of Ages: "The whole treasury of heaven is open to those [the Father] seeks to save. Having collected the riches of the universe, and laid open the resources of infinite power, He gives them all into the hands of Christ, and says, All these are for man. Use these gifts to convince him that there is no love greater than Mine in earth or heaven. His greatest happiness will be found in loving Me." (57)
- Brennan Manning: "Everything has been given to us by the Father in Jesus. All we need now is to experience what we already possess." (Lion and Lamb 154)
- Every new morning—ask for Him: "Baptize me today, Lord Jesus, that I might be filled with Your Spirit. AMEN."
When you get the One, you get them Both.
Do you have an announcement to share with the Pioneer family? Please submit all announcements online when possible. If you do not have access to Internet, you may call and leave a detailed message at 269-471-3647.
Join our Wednesday gathering on Zoom as we share and pray together.