Beginning on Wednesday (7PM), August 17, House of Prayer/PM will slowly climb the summit of the Bible, Romans chapter 8. It will be a simple word by word reflection. Through discussion and meditation you’re invited to recover and revisit the heart of the gospel, the heart of God. Join the conversation and prayers in the youth chapel any Wednesday you’re free.
The Big Bad Fisherman
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
"Nuclear Fishin': The Big Bad Fisherman"
- The Plot
- Testimonies: "We are living in the time of the end. . . . The Spirit of God is gradually but surely being withdrawn from the earth. . . . The agencies of evil are combining their forces and consolidating. They are strengthening for the last great crisis. Great changes are soon to take place in our world, and the final movements will be rapid ones. . . . Men possessed of demons are taking the lives of men, women, and little children. Men have become infatuated with vice, and every species of evil prevails. . . . The cries of starving humanity are coming up before God, while by every species of oppression and extortion men are piling up colossal fortunes." (vol 9 p 11)
- Luke 4:31-37
- Desire of Ages: "He who had conquered Satan in the wilderness of temptation was again brought face to face with His enemy. The demon exerted all his power to retain control of his victim. To lose ground here would be to give Jesus a victory. It seemed that the tortured man must lose his life in the struggle with the foe that had been the ruin of his manhood. But the Saviour spoke with authority, and set the captive free. The man who had been possessed stood before the wondering people happy in the freedom of self-possession. Even the demon had testified to the divine power of the Saviour. The man praised God for his deliverance. The eye that had so lately glared with the fire of insanity, now beamed with intelligence, and overflowed with grateful tears. The people were dumb with amazement." (256)
- The Point
- Habakkuk 1:5-6, 14-17
- The Big Bad Fisherman
- Isaiah 14:3-4, 12-15
- Ezekiel 28:14-15, 17-19
- Story of Redemption: "I was shown Satan as he once was, a happy, exalted angel. Then I was shown him as he now is. He still bears a kingly form. His features are still noble, for he is an angel fallen. But the expression of his countenance is full of anxiety, care, unhappiness, malice, hate, mischief, deceit, and every evil. That brow which was once so noble, I particularly noticed. His forehead commenced from his eyes to recede. I saw that he had so long bent himself to evil that every good quality was debased, and every evil trait was developed. His eyes were cunning, sly, and showed great penetration. His frame was large, but the flesh hung loosely about his hands and face. As I beheld him, his chin was resting upon his left hand. He appeared to be in deep thought. A smile was upon his countenance, which made me tremble, it was so full of evil and satanic slyness. This smile is the one he wears just before he makes sure of his victim, and as he fastens the victim in his snare, this smile grows horrible." (45)
- 2 Thessalonians 2:4
- Revelation 13:4, 8
- Revelation 12:17
- Luke 4:36—The Gospel According to the Crowd: "With authority and power He gives orders to impure spirits and they come out!"
- Colossians 2:13, 15
- The Great Controversy: "In the Savior’s expiring cry, ‘It is finished,’ the death knell of Satan was rung. The great controversy which had been so long in progress was then decided, and the final eradication of evil was made certain." (503)
- Revelation 12:11
- How to overcome the dragon by the blood of the Lamb:
- Testimonies: "When Satan would fill your mind with despondency, gloom, and doubt, resist his suggestions. Tell him of the blood of Jesus, that cleanses from all sin. You cannot save yourself from the tempter’s power, but he trembles and flees when the merits of that precious blood are urged." (vol 5 p 317)
- Testimonies: "Satan cannot endure to have his powerful rival appealed to, for he fears and trembles before His strength and majesty. At the sound of fervent prayer, Satan’s whole host trembles." (vol 1 p 346)
"They overcame him
by the blood of the Lamb"
Summer is rapidly coming to an end, and soon it will be time for Fall Grow Groups! Right now we’re looking for dedicated individuals who are excited to share their passions and grow their faith by leading small groups. Fall Grow Groups will meet September 18-December 10, 2022. If you’re interested in leading, text LEAD to 269-281-2345 or visit pmchurch.org/grow. The deadline to register a group is August 20. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Would you like to be a blessing to someone during difficult times? Sign up to be placed on the list to donate food for funeral receptions. This is an easy way to share and such a blessing for the families. Call the church office at 269-471-3133 (Heidi Ha) with your name and phone number or email them to email@example.com.
Future Family DVD series with Andy Stanley Family. We all have one. While some of us loved our "growin up" years, others of us couldn't wait to move out and start fresh. Either way, we want our Future Family to be a step up from our families of origin. Most of us want something better for our children.
July 23--Ideally Speaking
July 30--Power Down
August 6--Common Cause
August 13--All the Fixin's
August 20--Our Way, A Way
August 27--The Echo
Come join us in PMC room 141
Register now for an uplifting and spirit-filled weekend at Camp au Sable. The annual District Nine Family Camp is Labor Day weekend, September 2-5, 2022. Application materials can be found at http://districtnine.wix.com/home.
Join us as we beautify our building and grounds for the beginning of the new school year.
Berrien County Department of Health and Human Services Director, Emersond Jean-Baptiste, has a challenge to every church in Berrien County to find ways to be a cornerstone in impacting the lives of children and families. There are 60 foster homes in
our county and over 200 kids in foster care. This is a great opportunity to make a "Love on the Move" difference in the life of a child. Reach out to me and together with Emersond we can discuss ways to do exactly that. For more information contact Carol Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pioneer's Homebound Ministry is looking for names and contact information of people who are homebound and in need of some personalized attention. Text your information to 262-825-3632.
Pioneer is pleased to announce that transportation will be provided for Sabbath services for attendees with physical challenges who would have trouble in negotiating stairs.
Pioneer Traffic and Deacon teams will transport attendees by golf carts from the canopy entrance to the doors at the east entrance (JN Andrews statue). At the end of the service, attendees will be invited to return to the door and alert a greeter to contact the cart that will transport them to their cars.
If you would like to be picked up from your car at the start of the service instead of at the canopy entrance, please call the church office on (269) 471-3133 by Friday at 10:00 AM and supply the following information:
- Name(s) of attendees
- Service attending
- Make, model, and color of car
- Estimated time of arrival
We hope that this interim measure will be a helpful blessing to you.