Each month one of the various denominational churches in Berrien Springs collects food to be distributed on Fridays by Backpacks for Berrien to Berrien Springs public school students who otherwise may not have much to eat over the weekend. January is PMC’s month. The food must be packaged in individual serving sizes. No cans or bottles. By the types of food we select to donate, we can even make a health statement. Here are the healthful items on the Backpacks’ food list: fruit cups, pasta, rice, beans, nuts, protein bars. Food can be brought to the church and placed in the collection box in the lobby.
Gone to the Birds
Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist - Part 4
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and one granddaughter.
More In This Series
"Gone to the Birds: Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist"—4
The Rooster and the Dove
- The Rooster
- Mark 14:66-72
- Desire of Ages: "In that gentle countenance [Peter] read deep pity and sorrow, but there was no anger there. The sight of that pale, suffering face, those quivering lips, that look of compassion and forgiveness, pierced his heart like an arrow. Conscience was aroused. Memory was active. . . . Once more he looked at his Master, and saw a sacrilegious hand raised to smite Him in the face. Unable longer to endure the scene, he rushed, heartbroken, from the hall." (713)
- The Dove
- Mark 1:9-13
- Matthew 10:16—"'I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.'"
- 1 Corinthians 10:13—"No temptation has seized you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it."
- 2 Kings 6:12—"'None of us, my lord the king,' said one of his officers, 'but Elisha the prophet who is in Israel, tells the king of Israel the very words you speak in your bedroom.'"
- Psalm 50:15—"Call upon Me in the day of trouble and I will deliver you!"
- John 16:13—"'But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.'"
- Isaiah 30:21—"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'"
- 1 Corinthians 8:4, 7—"So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. . . . But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled."
- Romans 14:23—"But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin."
- SDA Bible Commentary: "The Christian should never violate his conscience. It may require educating. It may tell him that certain things are wrong that in themselves may not be wrong. But until convinced by the Word and the Spirit of God that a certain course is proper for him, he ought not to pursue it. He must not make others the criterion for his conduct; he must go to the Scriptures and learn for himself his duty in the matter." (SDABC 5:641)
- The Dove and the Rooster
- Our High Calling: "As we yield to the influence of the Spirit of God [the Dove], our conscience [the Rooster] becomes tender and sensitive, and sin that we have passed by with little thought, becomes exceeding sinful." (153)
- Which is why we must ask for both Gifts:
Dear God—give to me please a clear conscience sensitive to sin. I don't want to drink the Kool Aid and suck up the poison. I know full well what sin is—my conscience immediately goes into Red Alert. So please grant me Your power to obey Your Voice. And please give to me, dear Jesus, Your baptism of the Holy Spirit. Even as He came upon you, let Him come upon me, too—everyday. So that daily I might hear and obey the loving voice of Your Spirit through my Conscience, I humbly pray. Amen.
2 Birds, 2 Gifts, 1 Voice
We are now accepting Community Supported Agriculture memberships for the 2019 season. Sign up to receive Certified Naturally Grown fresh vegetables and fruits delivered to your doorstep weekly. We are also taking orders for nursery plants for home gardeners. All of our plants are from Certified Organic seed and grown in Certified Organic soil. Click the link below for details. Call or text Shelli at (269) 277-3621 with questions. We look forward to providing you with high quality healthy food.
Contact: Shelli - (269) 277-3621
Come and join your church family for some fun playing games in Johnson Gym and swimming in the Beatty Pool. Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
January 19, 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Location: Johnson GYM & Beaty Pool
1) Pray for the children, youth, their parents, teachers, and the leaders in the Sabbath School classes.
2) Order Rada Cutlery and Gifts—Affordable and durable. Proceeds go directly to Harbor of Hope.
3) Order Citrus Fruit for yourself and/ or a food pantry like Harbor of Hope, Neighbor to Neighbor, or God's Abundant Pantry. Just make a note of where you want it to go on your check memo line. Order it by mid-January. Proceeds also go to Harbor of Hope.
4) To help and support children and youth of Harbor of Hope contact: Terry Trecartin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (423) 645-5684, 2601 Pixley Ave., Saint Joseph, MI 49085.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for new audio and video technicians for its local media ministry. If you want to use your talents to have a positive impact on the world through digital evangelism and learn new things while sharpening your technical skills, email email@example.com. Volunteer teams rotate every 3rd Sabbath and are asked to volunteer for both services on their scheduled Sabbath.
Join Timeless Tours this coming June 8-21 for an adventure to the biblical lands of Jordan and Egypt. Featuring Andrews University professors Robert Bates - Archaeologist and Egyptologist, and Stefanie Elkins - Archaeologist and Art Historian. This all inclusive tour, which includes RT airfare, features visits to Jerash, Petra, the baptismal site of Jesus, the Valley of the Kings, The Great Pyramids of Giza, a hot air ballon ride, and cruise on the Nile! Cost is $4950.00 per person based on double occupancy.
Grief Share, a support group for those who are hurting or suffering the loss of a loved one, is available in January. The group meets at the Village Church on Sundays from 4:00-6:00 PM. Contact Shirley Gammon for more information or to register for the first session.
Sundays, 4:00 - 6:00 PM
Location: Village SDA Church
Contact: Shirley Gammon (989) 427-5669