If you know Mary, we invite you to help us shower her with a bouquet of cards on her July 5, 95th birthday. Send yours to: 9008 George Avenue, Berrien Springs, MI 49103
Gone to the Birds
Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist - Part 2
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and one granddaughter.
More In This Series
"Gone to the Birds: Lessons from the Divine Ornithologist"—2
- 1 Kings 17:1-16
- James 5:17-18—"Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops."
- Prophets and Kings: "Unbelief was fast separating the chosen nation from the Source of their strength. Viewing this apostasy from his mountain retreat, Elijah was overwhelmed with sorrow. In anguish of soul he besought God to arrest the once-favored people in their wicked course, to visit them with judgments, if need be, that they might be led to see in its true light their departure from Heaven." (120)
- The differences between ravens and crows (https://www.audubon.org/news/how-tell-raven-crow)
- The intelligence of ravens and crows: "Common ravens have been observed calling wolves to the site of dead animals. The wolves open the carcass, leaving the scraps more accessible to the birds. They watch where other common ravens bury their food and remember the locations of each other's food caches, so they can steal from them. This type of theft occurs so regularly that common ravens will fly extra distances from a food source to find better hiding places for food. They have also been observed pretending to make a cache without actually depositing the food, presumably to confuse onlookers." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_raven#Intelligence)
- BBC report on crow's 8-step problem solving skill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVaITA7eBZE)
- Job 38:41/Psalm 147:9
- Luke 12:24, 6, 31
- John Banister Tabb (1900) Holy Ground:
PAUSE where apart the fallen sparrow lies,
And lightly tread;
For there the pity of a Father's eyes
Enshrines the dead.
- Illus: Desire of Ages: "Not even a sparrow falls to the ground without the Father's notice. Satan's hatred against God leads him to hate every object of the Saviour's care. He seeks to mar the handiwork of God, and he delights in destroying even the dumb creatures. It is only through God's protecting care that the birds are preserved to gladden us with their songs of joy." (356)
- "Not a sigh is breathed, not a pain felt, not a grief pierces the soul, but the throb vibrates to the Father's heart." (Ibid)
- Malachi 3:10
- Nelson Searcy: "God is a giving God. He gave us life; he gives us breath; he gave us the earth and all its inhabitants; he gives us purpose; he gives us new mercies every single day. Most importantly, he gave us his Son on a Jerusalem hillside. God withholds no good thing from those who love and honor him. So how could we possibly be stingy with God in the area of our finances, especially when he has gone so far as to ask us to 'test him' in this one thing?" (Maximize 39)
- Education: "Only in the light that shines from Calvary can nature's teaching be read aright. Through the story of Bethlehem and the cross let it be shown how good is to conquer evil, and how every blessing that comes to us is a gift of redemption." (101)
- John Banister Tabb (1900) Holy Ground:
Make God first, and He will make it last . . .
and last . . . and last.
God's Hands 4 Kids ministers to foster and adopted kids and their families working closely with Berrien County Courts and Foster Care. They are currently doing a toy drive. They will be given to each kiddo present at two upcoming events this summer and fall. Toy suggestions and drop-off locations in addition to PMC can be found at www.gh4k.org. God bless as we all strive to live James 1:27.
It has come to our attention that there may be some confusion as how to designate offerings for Roof Replacement. Because there is no printed "Roof Replacement" on the tithe/ offerings envelope, some donors may have mistakenly placed their roof offerings in Building Improvements, which is line 4 on the envelope. Donors wishing to designate an offering for Roof Replacement should instead write ROOF on one of the blank lines. If you have mistakenly placed an offering in Building Improvements (or in any other fund), please let the assistant treasurer, JoAnn Siagian know by calling (269) 471-7656, and she will make a correction. Thank you.
We invite you to take advantage of our state-of-the-art 3-D Massage Chair, figure out your real body age and body composition with our full-body sensor, and discover various ways to become A healthier U! Visit: www.andrews.edu/wellness for more information and to schedule appointments! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
The congregation is invited and encouraged to attend the upcoming board/business meeting. Many important issues will be discussed at this time. See you there!
June 25, 7:00 PM
Location: Pioneer Memorial Church Commons
Andrews University invites high school students to their annual STEM weekend, SciFEST, on September 20-22, 2018. Mark your calendars and plan to join us for hands-on labs, spiritual activities, academic challenges, and a memorable weekend this fall. For more details visit: andrews.edu/scifest Register by May 25 to receive a discount.
September 20 - 22
Location: Andrews University
Contact: Monica Nudd - email@example.com | (269) 471-3872
We're pressing pause for the Summer but it's not too early to start planning what GROW Group you might want to lead for the Fall Semester between September 30 to December 9, 2018! Register your group at www.pmchurch. org/grow and help us build an intergenerational community where people can grow together in friendship with God and each other. Here are some ideas for groups: Happily Single, Pickleball, Baking Desserts, Women's Prayer Studies, Dads and Prayer. What's your idea? For more information, please contact Gracie Gaytan at growgroups@pmchurch. org or (269) 471-3133.
This group ministers to the seriously ill and bereaved through hand-created items. Please consider joining for fellowship, creativity, and personal visits.
June 26, 7:00 PM
Location: MacCarty Residence
Contact: Alice Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org | (269) 461-6815
Lyn MacCarty - (269) 471-9060 or (269) 208-3377