Out of His deep love for humanity, God changes our lives and asks us to move His love into our community and world. We are uniquely positioned at Andrews University to share the story of God’s love from the residence halls to the farthest parts of the earth. We accomplish our mission by engaging people across generations to be disciples of Jesus through the process of Connect. Grow. Serve. Go.
Your financial gift helps support ministry here at Pioneer. From local to global ministry, keeping our facility safe and clean, to outreach and family growth activities, it all provides a space to worship, learn, and grow together. We invite you to Give Purposefully, Give Faithfully, and Give Joyfully.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD OnlineBuy series
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• 64% of young people, ages 13–24, actively seek out pornography weekly or more often.
• A study of 14- to 19-year-olds found that females who consumed pornographic videos were at a significantly greater likelihood of being victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault.
• A Swedish study of 18-year-old males found that frequent consumers of pornography were significantly more likely to have sold and bought sex than other boys of the same age.
• A 2015 meta-analysis of 22 studies from seven countries found that internationally the consumption of pornography was significantly associated with increases in verbal and physical aggression, among males and females alike.
• Porn sites receive more regular traffic than Netflix, Amazon, & Twitter combined each month.
• 35% of all internet downloads are porn-related.
• The “teen” porn category has topped porn site searches for the last six years.
• At least 30% of all data transferred across the internet is porn-related.
• Recorded child sexual exploitation (known as “child porn”) is one of the fastest-growing online businesses.
• 624,000+ child porn traders have been discovered online in the U.S.
• Porn is a global, estimated $97 billion industry, with about $12 billion of that coming from the U.S.
• In 2018 alone, more than 5,517,000,000 hours of porn were consumed on the world’s largest porn site.
• The world’s largest free porn site also received over 33,500,000,000 site visits during 2018 alone.
• Denny Burk: “A growing number of young men are convinced that their sexual responses have been sabotaged because their brains were virtually marinated in porn when they were adolescents. Their generation has consumed explicit content in
quantities and varieties never before possible, on devices designed to deliver content swiftly and privately, all at an age when their brains were more plastic—more prone to permanent change—than in later life.” (in Meet Generation Z 61)
» THE TAMING
• Luke 5:17-20
• Desire of Ages: “Oh, wondrous love of Christ, stooping to heal the guilty and the afflicted! Divinity sorrowing over and soothing the ills of suffering humanity! Oh, marvelous power thus displayed to the children of men! Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?” (269)
Five Steps (Maybe Six) to Overcoming Pornographic Addiction*
» Admit your .
• To yourself for honesty—Romans 7:14-15
• To God for help—2 Chronicles 20:12
» Confess your .
• To Jesus for cleansing—1 John 1:7
• To someone else for accountability—James 5:16**
» Surrender your and .
• To the Holy Spirit—1 Corinthians 6:18-20
• To the Lord—Joshua 24:15
» Worship your .
• Daily through prayer—Daniel 6:10/Psalm 55:17
• Daily through His Word—Joshua 1:7-8/Psalm 119:9-11
** ADVENTIST RECOVERY MINISTRIES: The Journey to Wholeness (email@example.com)/GROW Groups: “Sexual Purity for Men” & “Conquer”
“Friend, your sins are forgiven”
Church Access for Attendees with Physical Challenges
Pioneer is pleased to announce that transportation will be provided for Sabbath services for attendees with physical challenges who would have trouble in negotiating stairs.
Pioneer Traffic and Deacon teams will transport attendees by golf carts from the canopy entrance to the doors at the east entrance (JN Andrews statue). At the end of the service, attendees will be invited to return to the door and alert a greeter to contact the cart that will transport them to their cars.
If you would like to be picked up from your car at the start of the service instead of at the canopy entrance, please call the church office on (269) 471-3133 by Friday at 10:00 AM and supply the following information:
Name(s) of attendees
Make, model, and color of car
Estimated time of arrival
We hope that this interim measure will be a helpful blessing to you.
Summer Grow Groups are Ready to Join!
This summer we have some great leaders who are looking forward to sharing a wide variety of groups, both online and in person. All are welcome to join--Grow Groups are for everyone! Summer groups will meet from June 5-July 30. Head to our digital catalog here, or text JOIN to 269-281-2345 to check out our available groups. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need assistance.
Offering for May 21, 2022
Pioneer Operating Budget
Demonstrate Self Denial
1 John 3:16 “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.”
We worship God with our resources because of His sacrificial love. Jesus left heaven, and He embraced the plight of fallen humanity. He accomplished his mission against fearful odds and dire resistance. Finally, He offered it all, His own life. This is how He demonstrated love. As God’s representatives, a sacrificial spirit is part of our identity. That was the spirit demonstrated by our church’s pioneers, and J.N. Andrews was a leading figure among them. John Andrews was a widow with two children when he accepted a call to go to Europe as the first official Seventh-day Adventist missionary. He accepted the call without knowing what his specific salary would be. They agreed to send him money from time to time, but this was not done as regularly as needed.
For him to publish tracts, pamphlets, and the French periodical “Les Signes des Temps” he often had to use his own funds, sometimes going without food and other necessities. He contracted pneumonia in 1877, and after the examination, the physician commented: “This man is almost starved to death!” One year later, his daughter contracted tuberculosis. Andrews brought his daughter home to Battle Creek and she was treated by Dr. J. H. Kellogg, but she sadly passed away. The committed missionary nevertheless returned to Europe to continue his groundbreaking work until he died of tuberculosis at the age of 54. We are living in a time where money and other resources are hard to find.
In this context, these words of Ellen White are most relevant: “Those who profess to be one with Christ and indulge their selfish desires for rich and expensive clothing, furniture, and food, are Christians only in name. To be a Christian is to be Christlike.” (Review & Herald, Oct. 13, 1896). This week, may our tithe and regular offerings reflect a spirit of self-denial, the Spirit of Christ.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Andrews Academy's Graduation Weekend Events
Congratulations, Andrews Academy seniors! May the same Lord who got you here lead you into the uncharted adventure ahead! "I am with you always," is His promise. Everyone is invited to attend graduation weekend events. Class Night May 26, 7:00 PM at Andrews Academy; Consecration May 27, 8:00 PM at Village SDA Church; Baccalaureate May 28, 11:45 AM at Pioneer, Commencement May 29, 11:00 AM, also at Pioneer.
Join Pioneer’s Prayer Team
If you enjoy praying for others, join one of our Prayer Teams which meet in person at the church during the first and second church services (your choice). Teams will rotate on a scheduled basis. A monitor in the Prayer Room allows the teams to hear the congregational prayer and the sermon. For more information, text "PRAY" to 269-281-2345.
Fellowship Dinner Starts This Sabbath
Members with last names between Omari and Rorabeck are specifically invited to join our fellowship dinner following second worship service this Sabbath in the Commons. Next Sabbath, May 28, members with last names between Rosen and Taber are invited. If you are not on the invited list, but would like to come, you are welcome. Just bring a dish of your favorite food to share and join in the fellowship. Visitors are always welcome, too!
The Tent 2022
The Junior High students from Ruth Murdoch Elementary School will hold The Tent meetings on Friday, May 13 through 22, 2022. Meetings take place every night, except Tuesday. We invite you to support our kids by watching and invite a friend or family member to watch too, so they can get to know Jesus better.
Pioneer’s Preschool Pray & Play group provides families who are welcoming new children into their homes (by birth, adoption, foster care, etc.) with meals. You don't need to cook to help out! We're in need of people who can:
make and deliver meals
order take-out and deliver it
help us identify families who are expecting new children
As we get more volunteers, we're hoping to expand this ministry to help families identify the many rich resources available to them at Pioneer and in our community. We want to be the hands of Jesus to new parents and their kids in as families grow.
We are in need for additional volunteers for Pioneer's Traffic Ministry. The weather outside is getting warmer and this would be a great opportunity for you to show your kindness, caring, and smiles to everyone who enters our church doors for Sabbath worship. If you are interested or would like more information, please contact Darryl at email@example.com or text 732-379-1300. Thank you.
Ministry Design Project Submission
Ministry and Grow Group Leaders: We are here to help you create appealing materials both digital and in print in order to familiarize people with your ministry or upcoming event. Because we support many ministries, kindly provide us with at least 10 design days from the time we receive your project details to completion. Additional time may be needed for printing and shipping when applicable. Submit your project online today at pmchurch.org/design/submit. -Pioneer Media Ministry