Robby Raney and some of his colleagues will present a hymn sing program at 4:00 PM on October 22 at Historic Adventist Village in Battle Creek, Michigan. You're invited to come and sing the stories of our Pioneers.
A DIY Guide
A DIY Guide to Better Sexual Health: Taming Your Tiger
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“A DIY Guide to Better Sexual Health: Taming Your Tiger”
» THE TIGER
• 64% of young people, ages 13–24, actively seek out pornography weekly or more often.
• A study of 14- to 19-year-olds found that females who consumed pornographic videos were at a significantly greater likelihood of being victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault.
• A Swedish study of 18-year-old males found that frequent consumers of pornography were significantly more likely to have sold and bought sex than other boys of the same age.
• A 2015 meta-analysis of 22 studies from seven countries found that internationally the consumption of pornography was significantly associated with increases in verbal and physical aggression, among males and females alike.
• Porn sites receive more regular traffic than Netflix, Amazon, & Twitter combined each month.
• 35% of all internet downloads are porn-related.
• The “teen” porn category has topped porn site searches for the last six years.
• At least 30% of all data transferred across the internet is porn-related.
• Recorded child sexual exploitation (known as “child porn”) is one of the fastest-growing online businesses.
• 624,000+ child porn traders have been discovered online in the U.S.
• Porn is a global, estimated $97 billion industry, with about $12 billion of that coming from the U.S.
• In 2018 alone, more than 5,517,000,000 hours of porn were consumed on the world’s largest porn site.
• The world’s largest free porn site also received over 33,500,000,000 site visits during 2018 alone.
• National Center on Sexual Exploitation (www.endsexualexploitation.org/wp-content/uploads/NCOSE_Pornography-PublicHealth_ResearchSummary_8-2_17_FINAL-with-logo.pdf)
• Denny Burk: “A growing number of young men are convinced that their sexual responses have been sabotaged because their brains were virtually marinated in porn when they were adolescents. Their generation has consumed explicit content in
quantities and varieties never before possible, on devices designed to deliver content swiftly and privately, all at an age when their brains were more plastic—more prone to permanent change—than in later life.” (in Meet Generation Z 61)
» THE TAMING
• Luke 5:17-20
• Desire of Ages: “Oh, wondrous love of Christ, stooping to heal the guilty and the afflicted! Divinity sorrowing over and soothing the ills of suffering humanity! Oh, marvelous power thus displayed to the children of men! Who can doubt the message of salvation? Who can slight the mercies of a compassionate Redeemer?” (269)
Five Steps (Maybe Six) to Overcoming Pornographic Addiction*
» Admit your .
• To yourself for honesty—Romans 7:14-15
• To God for help—2 Chronicles 20:12
» Confess your .
• To Jesus for cleansing—1 John 1:7
• To someone else for accountability—James 5:16**
» Surrender your and .
• To the Holy Spirit—1 Corinthians 6:18-20
• To the Lord—Joshua 24:15
» Worship your .
• Daily through prayer—Daniel 6:10/Psalm 55:17
• Daily through His Word—Joshua 1:7-8/Psalm 119:9-11
» Consecrate your .
• Take up your cross—Mark 8:34-35
• Obey His commands—Luke 19:13
» Turn in your .
• Jesus’ radical counsel—Matthew 5:29-30
• The Father’s radical warning—Revelation 21:6-8
*For further study/reflection:
** ADVENTIST RECOVERY MINISTRIES: The Journey to Wholeness (email@example.com)/GROW Groups: “Sexual Purity for Men” & “Conquer”
“Friend, your sins are forgiven”
The next Children’s Leadership Conference will take place on October 29th, 2022, 8:30 AM – 7:00 PM, at Chan Shun Hall, Andrews University. It is a one-day free in English & Spanish event focusing on Track 2: Teaching Children from the NAD Children’s Ministry Certification.
COLLECTING NEW UNDERWEAR AND PAJAMAS OF ALL CHILD SIZES. God's Hands 4 Kids is a ministry that started as a PMC Grow Group. We work closely with Berrien County DHHS. We maintain their "Closet" that has an inventory of clothes and other essentials that are available to workers 24/7. Many kids come into care with nothing except what they have on. We are currently collecting new underwear and pajamas. There is a collection bin in the lower PMC lobby. Items can be dropped off at RMES. We have other local 24/7 drop-off locations. Contact with us can be made through GH4K.org. Join our FaceBook page - God's Hands 4 Kids Foster...
Pioneer's fellowship dinner teams need additional members to help with the Sabbath fellowship dinners. Teams serve about three times a year. You don't need to know how to cook to be on a team. There are many ways you can be involved and enjoy the ministry together. Contact the church office at 269-471-6565 to sign-up.
Members with last names Abriot-Byrd have been invited to bring a dish to share and join the fellowship dinner this Sabbath. The dinner is held in the Commons on the lower level immediately following second worship service. Visitors are always welcome.
The Family Life Committee invites you to Pioneer's Annual Hayride, returning after a two-year hiatus! Join us for rides through the woods, refreshments, a bonfire, and warm fellowship. Sunday, October 9, 6-8 PM at Five Pines Ministries, Berrien Center. Enjoy the beauty of fall with your Pioneer family!
Pioneer Operating Budget
John 15:4 “Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.”
We worship God with our resources as a response to the call to bear fruits. John the Baptist appealed to those who were coming to him for baptism: “Produce fruit in keeping with your repentance.” (Matt. 3:8). For John, baptism and being part of God’s people were not sufficient. The Gospel of Luke shares some concrete examples of the “fruit of our repentance” that John the Baptist gave to those who came to him. He asked the tax collector not to collect any more than was required. He exhorted the soldiers not to “extort money” and “be content with your pay.” And he commanded the crowd to share their second shirt and food with the one who does not have (Lk. 3: 10-14). These examples reported by Luke have something in common; they are related to one’s attitudes towards finances and material possessions. Fruit of our repentance means being careful about how we use our resources, making sure to bless and not harm others.
The Bible tells the story of a man, Nabal, a son of Abraham who was heavily blessed but did not bear fruit of repentance in his material life. He refused to reward those who protected his flock and would harshly rebuke the servants of David who came to ask for some food. This attitude led his wife to call him wicked and to make the following comment: “He is just like his name—his name means Fool, and folly goes with him” (1 Sam. 25:25). Sadly, the following day, he had a stroke. Ten days later, he died.
As we reflect on the need to bear more fruits of repentance in our material life, let us apply the advice of Jesus: “Remain in me as I also remain in you.” This week, as we worship with our tithe and regular offerings we can bear fruits of repentance.
—North American Division Stewardship Ministries
Helping hands needed. Are you looking for a project that is fun to do and really helps a wonderful Andrews organization? WAUS has a large mailing that will be processed/envelope stuffed on Thursday, October 6th starting at 9:00am until every envelope is stuffed! We would love to have you join us. Please call the station at 269-471-3400 to let us know you will be joining us. Looking forward to the joy of working together.
This fall Pioneer is partnering with the Center for Faith Engagement at Andrews University to offer the Pure Desire Conference. This is a two-day event designed to raise an awareness of the factors that create and reinforce unhealthy sexual behavior. It provides a comprehensive understanding and the tools required to develop a healing ministry that offers hope and freedom to men, women, students, and families.
October 21-22, 2022
Location: Andrews University Seminary Chapel
Home & School is hosting a Bike-a-Thon/Walk-a-Thon fundraiser for the RMES students on October 23. Students have been challenged to raise at least $100 each in sponsors. Some students may not have many contacts from which to solicit sponsorship. We would like to create a list of names of potential sponsors that students could contact. If you'd like to add your name to the list, please email your contact information and the number of students you're willing to have contact you to RMESHomeAndSchool@gmail.com. Proceeds from this fundraiser will be used for the RMES carpet upgrade project (90%) and Home & School activities (10%). If you’d like to make a general donation to this fundraiser, mark your tithe envelope RMES Bike-a-Thon.