The Junior High students from Ruth Murdoch would like to invite you to join us for our "Virtual Tent" meetings. They began on Friday, May 22 and continue through June 2. Meetings are held at 7:00 PM each night, except Saturdays. Please come and support our kids and invite a friend or family member to watch so they can get to know Jesus better.
The Pugwash Factor:
How to Turn Mission into Possible
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“The Pugwash Factor: How to Turn Mission into Possible”
- The Mission: Matthew 28:18-20/Mark 16:15/Luke 24:46, 47/John 20:21/Acts 1:8
- The Gospel: Euangellion = eu (good) + angellion (message) = “good message” “good news”
- Ellen White: “The message from God to me for you is ‘Him that cometh unto me, I will in no wise cast out’ (John 6:37). If you have nothing else to plead before God but this one promise from your Lord and Saviour, you have the assurance that you will never, never be turned away. It may seem to you that you are hanging upon a single promise, but appropriate that one promise, and it will open to you the whole treasure house of the riches of the grace of Christ. Cling to that promise and you are safe. . . . and you are as safe as though inside the city of God.” (Manuscript Releases 10:175)
- 7 Reasons for Your Life Mission:
- Reason #1—Because you were for mission.
- 2 Corinthians 5:18 TEV: “Christ changed us from enemies into his friends and gave us the of making others his friends also.”
- Steps to Christ 78: “No sooner does one come to Christ than there is born in his heart a desire to to others what a precious friend he has found in Jesus; the saving and sanctifying truth cannot be shut up in his heart. . . . We shall seek to present to them the attractions of Christ and the unseen realities of the world to come.”
- Reason #2—Because your mission is a of Jesus’ mission on earth.
- Matthew 28:19-20 Message: “Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life. . . . I’ll be as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age.”
- Desire of Ages 340: “It is in working to spread the good news of salvation that we are brought near to the .”
- Reason #3—Because your mission is a wonderful .
- 2 Corinthians 6:1—“We are workers together with .”
- Testimonies to the Church 9:102-103: “As I have thought of that cup trembling in the hands of Christ [in Gethsemane]; as I have realized that He might have refused to drink, and left the world to perish in its sin, I have pledged that every energy of my life should be devoted to the work of to Him.”
- Reason #4—Because telling others how they can have eternal life is the you can do for them.
- Acts 4:12 NCV—“Jesus is the who can save people.”
- Desire of Ages 568: “Jesus knows the circumstances of every soul. You may say, I am sinful, very sinful. You may be; but the worse you are, the more you need Jesus. He turns no weeping, contrite one away. He does not tell to any all that He might reveal, but He bids every trembling soul take courage. Freely will He pardon who come to Him for forgiveness and restoration.”
- Reason #5—Because your mission has significance.
- John 9:4 NLT—“All of us must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent me, because there is little time left before the night falls and all work comes to .”
- Christ’s Object Lessons 197: “In this work all the of heaven are ready to co-operate. All the resources of heaven are at the command of those who are seeking to save the lost. will help you to reach the most careless and the most hardened.”
- Reason #6—Because your mission gives your life .
- Acts 20:24 NLT—“My life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing the work to me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about God’s wonderful kindness and love.”
- Christ’s Object Lessons 419: “It is the of every soul to be a living channel through which God can communicate to the world the treasures of His grace, the unsearchable riches of Christ.”
- Reason #7—Because God’s timetable for history’s is connected to the completion of our commission.
- Matthew 24:14 NKJV—“And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then will come.”
- Desire of Ages 634: “Those who watch for the Lord’s coming are not waiting in idle expectancy. . . . With vigilant watching they combine earnest working. Because they know that the Lord the door, their zeal is quickened to co-operate with the divine intelligences in working for the salvation of souls.”
- Reason #1—Because you were for mission.
The mission in your life is to fullfill your life mission.
We are saddened to inform you that due to COVID-19 FLAG Camp will be canceled this summer. Thank you to each who has applied to be on staff. Please apply again next year for the summer of 2021. We will be working to make next summer a great and safe experience!
For your safety, Pioneer Memorial Church offices are now closed until further notice. Pastors and staff continue to work remotely to serve your needs.
A celebration through word and music, prsented by Pastor Esther R. Knott in celebration fo the 50th anniversary of her baptism. Participants include: Lisa Jardine, Ron Kelly, Kenenth Logan, Dwight Nelson, Karen Nelson, Betty Oakley, Charles Reid, Julie Reid, Olivia Ruiz-Knott, Stephen Zork, and Susan Zork.
Saturday, May 30, 4:00 PM
University Medical Specialties is currently accepting patients who have both critical care and other medical needs.
This week I learned of our world church headquarters appeal for prayer throughout the global Seventh-day Adventist family. Originally timed to end during the recently-postponed General Conference session in Indianapolis, our church leaders are calling us to now focus 100 days of praying (March 27-July 4) on behalf of the global coronavirus pandemic. There could hardly be a more urgent need for earnest praying!
A pastor friend of mine, Jim Moon, pointed out a two-verse juxtaposition I'd not noticed before: "When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a pestilence among My people, if My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land" (2 Chronicles 7:13-14). While everyone knows the beloved prayer call in v 14, few of us connect it with the preceding divine action in v 13. "A pestilence among My people" certainly could represent a global pandemic like the coronavirus COVID-19. While Satan is the originator of destructive calamities, what more faith-appropriate response is our collective prayers to the One who can deliver this nation, this world, these people, from the grips of pestilence.
So let's join together in humbling ourselves before God and praying and seeking His face—that our world might be saved and our faith community might yet be mobilized to share the glad tidings of Jesus' soon return.
- Pastor Dwight
Over the summer and fall of 2019 Pioneer underwent significant physical renovation—including a new roof and a major Sanctuary makeover. During the same time congregation leaders engaged in multiple conversations about our missional renovation—how does a faith community like Pioneer seriously engage and impact the people around us for Christ? From this dialogue emerged a fresh new expression of our Pioneer mission: "Love on the Move."
For more events impacting our local university campus, please visit www.andrews.edu/agenda.