Church is more than just a building; it's about people. Here at Pioneer Memorial Church, on the campus of Andrews University, we believe in helping transform this generation to be more like Jesus through 4 steps: Connect, Grow, Serve, Go.
Giving is a key part of worship here at Pioneer. As part of our weekly worship service, we collect tithes and offering. In addition, we also provide three online options to help you support our global denomination as well as our local church.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Consumer debt last year (auto loans, student loans, personal loans, credit cards/not mortgages) hit a new high—just over $ .
•(How much is a trillion dollars? If you spent one dollar per second, in a day you would spend $86,400. Over the course of a year, your spending would come to more than $31.5 million. At that rate of spending, it would take you over years to spend one trillion dollars.)
• Consumer spending in the U.S. (food, gas, clothing, mortgages, electronics) last year set a new record: $ .
• Joshua Becker, “Becoming Minimalist” blog: “The numbers paint a jarring picture of excessive consumption and unnecessary accumulation. Fortunately, the solution is not difficult. The invitation to own less is an invitation to freedom, intentionality, and passion. And it can be discovered at your nearest drop-off center.” (https://www.becomingminimalist.com/clutter-stats/)
• Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Earthly gifts are given to be used, not to be . . . . [T]he disciple must receive his portion from God every day. If he stores it up as a permanent possession, he spoils not only the gift, but as well, for he sets his heart on his accumulated wealth, and makes it a barrier between himself and God. Where our treasure is, there is our trust, our security, our consolation and our God. is idolatry.” (Cost of Discipleship 194)
»#1 Life Principle—Make God .
• Matthew 6:33
• Father Abraham—“Then Abram gave him [the priest Melchizedek] a tenth of everything.” (Genesis 14:20)
• Grandson Jacob—“‘And of all that You give me I will give You a tenth.’” (Genesis 28:22)
• Lord Jesus—“‘This you ought to have done [tithing], without leaving the other undone [loving].’” (Matthew 23:23)
• Malachi 3:10-12, 8-9
• “O God, I make You my C-suite Lord!”
• Desire of Ages: “Satan has represented God as selfish and oppressive, as claiming all, and giving nothing, as requiring the service of His creatures for His own glory, and making no sacrifice for their good. But the gift of Christ reveals the Father’s heart. . . . Having undertaken our redemption, He will spare nothing, however dear, which is necessary to the completion of His work. . . . Favor is heaped upon favor, gift upon gift. The treasury of heaven is open to those He seeks to save. Having collected the riches of the universe, and laid open the resources of infinite power, He gives them all into the hands of Christ, and says, All these are for man. Use these gifts to convince him that there is no love greater than Mine in earth or heaven. His greatest happiness will be found in loving Me.” (57)
Make God First
It’s that time of the year again! Join us and have fun with your friends and family on the hayride! Hot dogs, veggies, chips, s’mores, and beverages will be served.
5:30-7:30 PM Sunday October 20, 2019
Location: Five Pines Ministries, 6597 Smith Rd. Berrien Center
Grief and Loss Colloquium
In this time of earth’s history, losses of all types are inevitable. We will not only face “normal” death events of loved ones and church members, but traumatic events with large-scale death. This resulting trauma must be anticipated. Preparation to be of help to others even while grieving ourselves will become essential. Now is the time to become prepared to use a set of skills that will be helpful and reflect the process that Jesus used when He was on earth.
9:00 AM Sunday September 22, 2019
Location: Theological Seminary S340
Adventist Forum Meeting
Dr. Gary Fraser, director of the Loma Linda Health Study, will present "Living Longer, Living Better: Exploring the Adventist Health Studies" on September 28, 2019 at 3:30 in Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall. This meeting is open to everyone!
3:30 PM September 28, 2019
Location: Garber Auditorium, Chan Shun Hall
Committed was founded in 2003, and the group solidified their sound while at school together at Oakwood University in Huntsville, AL. It has been their strong faith, hard work and creativity that has gotten them to the point of being called one of the nation’s top ten a cappella groups.
7:00 PM October 13
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Volunteers are needed to commit to one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during services. If interested or for more info call, text, or email Derrill at 732.379.1300 or legoh@ andrews.edu
The gold medal recipients of the largest chamber music competition in the world are making a stop on their Winner’s Tour across the Midwest. Since forming at Texas Tech University in the fall of 2015, the Aruna Quartet has performed a wide range of traditional and contemporary repertoire. Aruna Quartet was awarded the Gold Medal and Grand Prize at the 46th Fischoff National Chamber Music Competition held on the campus of the University of Notre Dame this year.
7:00 PM, September 22, 2019
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Seriously Dating, Engaged, And Newlyweds, register now for an intensive weekend that will supercharge your relationship and help lay the foundation for a successful marriage.
Children's Leadership Conference
The Center for Youth Evangelism along with the North American Division is hosting a Children's Leadership Conference October 12 and Pathfinder Leadership Training October 11-12 at Andrews University. The purpose of this event is to empower leaders to equip parents. Registration and more information can be found at www.cye.org.
PMC Prayer Ministry Team Seeking New Members
Please join our PMC Prayer Ministry Team by volunteering to pray with us during 1st or 2nd service on available Sabbaths. We need you to help us intensify and grow this ministry. For more information contact Andrea Gibbs.