Pioneer’s summer renovation project is underway. Sabbath services will meet at Howard Performing Arts Center. Please note the Sanctuary is now closed to the general public. For updates and safety information please visit https://www.pmchurch.org/renovate/updates.
Church is more than just a building; it's about people. Here at Pioneer Memorial Church, on the campus of Andrews University, we believe in helping transform this generation to be more like Jesus through 4 steps: Connect, Grow, Serve, Go.
Giving is a key part of worship here at Pioneer. As part of our weekly worship service, we collect tithes and offering. In addition, we also provide three online options to help you support our global denomination as well as our local church.
To purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
Dwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
• Ranko Stefanovic: “Because of its favorable location on the system of Roman roads, the city became one of the greatest commercial and financial centers of the ancient world.” (Revelation of Jesus Christ 144)
• Parallel #2—
• Parallel #3—
• Parallel #4—
• Roy Allen Anderson: “Valuable wool was produced in the valley, soft in texture, glossy black in color, but tinged as it were with violet. Black garments were worn almost exclusively by the Laodiceans as evidence of their wealth.” (Unfolding the Revelation 42)
• Parallel #5—
• Parallel #6—
• Jacques Doukhan: “Their mentality is but the symptom of a civilization that prides itself in its secularism and humanism while excluding God. . . . The human has usurped the divine on all levels.” (Secrets of Revelation 46)
• Parallel #7—
• Greek—”a people judged”
•Ellen White: “The Lord has done more for the United States than for any other country upon which the sun shines. . . . Here Christianity has progressed in its purity. . . . But the enemy of all righteousness has designs upon God’s purpose for this country. He will bring in enterprises that will lead men to forget that there is a God. Worldliness and covetousness, which is idolatry, will prevail through the working of the archdeceiver, till the law of God, in all its bearings, shall be made void.” (Maranatha 193)
• James Warren: “[Roger] Williams disavowed the Puritan’s cherished belief that their Holy Commonwealths were in a special covenant with God. There was no ‘chosen nation’ in the seventeenth century, nor had there been once since Moses’ Israel. Williams believed . . . that ‘since the coming of Christ the only way God had contracted with men . . . was through the churches of Christ. . . . Nobody of men who now employed force in defense of religion, whether at home or abroad, could claim the name Christian.’” (God, War and Providence 70-71)
• America is a Christian nation.
• Martin Luther King, Jr: “The church must be reminded that it is not the master or the servant of the state, but rather the of the state.”
• Jonathan Walton: “‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’ are promised by America and God. But they are not the same in origin, practice, or motive. The goals and intentions of the Declaration of Independence sit in opposition to the gospel of Christ. The totality of Scripture does not endorse the marriage of God and country or the establishment, development, or practices of any country in the name of Jesus.” (Twelve Lies That Hold America Captive: And the Truth That Sets Us Free 18)
»So what hope is there for this nation?
•Revelation 14:6-7—”And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; and he said with a loud voice, ‘Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.’”
• Acts 4:12—”’Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved [than the name of Jesus].”
• John 4:42—”They said to the woman, ‘We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this Man really is the Savior of the world.’”
• Jon Meacham: “‘A bold President who knew himself to be supported by a majority in the country, might be tempted to override the law, and deprive the minority of the protection which the law affords it,’ [James] Bryce wrote. ‘He might be a tyrant, not against the masses, but with the masses.’” (The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels 271)
• America’s thought leaders need Liberty.
God save America—and let me help You!
Andrews Academy Enrolling Students Grade 9-12
Andrews Academy is now enrolling students in grades 9 - 12 for the 2019/2020 school year. We invite you to join the AA family. You will be blessed by what Andrews Academy has to offer. Students consistently score above state and national levels on their ACTs, they are involved in many spiritual and service activities throughout the school year. AA's school mission it to inspire our students to think deeply, live fully, serve unselfishly and to honor God completely. Call AA at 269.471.3138 for more information or
visit www.andrews.edu/aa and click on "apply today." School begins August 19th, check-in day is Aug. 7. Financial packages are available.
WithOut A, B And O, We CAn't SAve AnybOdy
Andrews University, Pioneer Memorial Church, and the American Red Cross will sponsor a Blood Drive. Visit www.redcrossblood.org (sponsor code: AndrewsUniversity) for information or to schedule an appointment. You can also call 800-REDCROSS or email Larry Ulery, firstname.lastname@example.org. Appointments are suggested by walk-ins are welcome. Summertime is always challenging for getting enough donors, so we look forward to your support in advance.
July 30, 11:00 AM - 4:45 PM
Location: PMC Commons
The Health Tent
Once again we are blessed to have the chance to share in a fun and festive way healthy living info with those who visit the Health Tent at the Berrien County Youth Fair. We have the great line-up of activities for our visitors, and you and your friends/family can sign up to be part of it. Check out what we'll be doing at our website, www.HealthTent.org. On this website, you also be able to register as a volunteer and then pick which 3-hour shift you'd like to take. (If you volunteer during the Sabbath hours, you'll receive a free day pass.) We'll have training sessions in August. You'll also pick up you staff polo shirt if you don't already have one from previous years. Join us and be a blessing and receive a blessing!
Pioneer Picnic on July 20
Pioneer is hosting a picnic following second service on July 20. No RSVP is required.
Members – Last names beginning with:
A-H Sandwiches & Fruit Salad for 20
I – P Baked Beans & Dessert for 20
Q – Z Vegetable/Potato Salad & Large Bag of Chips for 20
Beverage/Water & Serving Utensils provided by Pioneer
BCFAN Resource Fair
God's Hands 4 Kids is part of the Berrien County Foster Adoption Network. BCFAN will be providing the third annual Resource Fair for Foster, Kinship and Adoptive families on July 25. All foster and adoptive families are invited and encouraged to attend. Plus
we are looking for donations of summer fun things kids attending the fair will be able to choose from at the GH4K table and then take home and enjoy. Also accepting cans of vegetarian hot dogs to be able to offer an alternative to the hot dogs being provided. Drop off locations for donations - lower level PMC, RMES Office, Thrive Psychology, St. Joe. For further information and suggestions go to www.GH4K.org.
WithOut A, B, And O, We CAn't SAve AnybOdy. Give the Gift of Life!
AU, PMC and the American Red Cross will sponsor a Blood Drive in July. Visit www.redcrossblood.org (sponsor code: AndrewsUniversity) for information or to schedule your appointment. You may also schedule by calling 800-RED-CROSS, or Larry Ulery, email@example.com Appointments suggested but walk-ins are welcome. Summertime is always a challenge for getting enough donors.
July 30, 11:00 AM - 4:45 PM
Location: PMC Commons
Adventist Forum Conference
Though summer hasn’t officially arrived and Labor Day may seem far away, we urge you to SAVE THE DATES for our 2019 annual Adventist Forum Conference: August 30-September 1 in Orlando, Florida on the campus of AdventHealth University.
Guided by the theme of Identities: Within and Beyond the Borders of Adventism, we are looking forward to being together for a weekend which will stretch our minds and hearts, posing valuable questions and probing essential aspects of numerous identities. Here is a peek at current line-up of presenters and facilitators:
Gerald Winslow--always a terrific speaker and a key voice of reason within the church on tough issues like abortion, homosexuality and transsexuals
Edwin Hernandez--president of AdventHealth University and renowned researcher who has written a history of Hispanic Adventis
Michael Nixon--vice president for diversity at Andrews University, he will bring a panel of students to talk about how their Adventism impacts their lives
Vanessa Corredera--Shakespearan scholar now at Andrews University whose research explores issues of Otherness and diversity, particularly the intersection and representation of gender and class in contemporary Shakespearean adaptations and appropriations.
Miquel Mendez--one of the associate pastors from the Loma Linda University Church who is a terrific speaker in the tradition of Randy Roberts
Nick Zork--worship musician extraordinaire
Daniela Jean--Alex Carpenter did a podcast with her posted May 16, 2019. She is originally from Haiti, now lives in Miami and regularly hosts a JAVA event for SDAs in the Miami area where poetry, music, and food provide for an entertaining evening. She has won several regional “under forty” awards and was a 2018 EBONY magazine POWER 100 people’s choice nominee. She will be hosting our Saturday night program.
Having representatives from each Chapter participating in our conference conversations and fellowship would be superb. Keep in mind that there is a reduced fee for Early Bird Registration, so keep an eye out for details regarding discounted hotel rates as well as conference registration options.
Would love to see you soon in Orlando!
August 30 - September 1
Location: Orlando Florida
PMC Prayer Ministry Team Seeking New Members
Please join our PMC Prayer Ministry Team by volunteering to pray with us during 1st or 2nd service on available Sabbaths. We need you to help us intensify and grow this ministry. For more information contact Andrea Gibbs.