As a university church, we disciple AU students helping in every Sabbath School. During vacation months, substitute teachers and pianists are needed, May through August, and December, each year. Experience God through the eyes of a child by making a Sabbath School small group part of your summer adventure this year. Sign up today!
Yes Can Do
How to Pray with an Attitude
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
"YES CAN DO: How to Pray with an Attitude"
Act One—Joshua 10:1-5
- Ephesians 6:10-12
- Ellen White: "Could our eyes be opened, and could each see the conflict of angelic agencies with the Satanic confederacy, who are combined with evil human agencies, what astonishment would come upon the soul. The holy angels are working with terrible intensity for the salvation of men, because the destroyer of souls is seeking to make of no effect the salvation which has been purchased at infinite cost. Could our spiritual vision be opened, we should see that which would never be effaced from the memory as long as life should last. We should see souls bowed down under oppression, loaded with grief and pressed down as a cart beneath the sheaves, and ready to die in discouragement. We should see angels flying swiftly to aid the tempted ones who stand as on the brink of a precipice. These tempted souls are unable to help themselves, and avoid the ruin which threatens them; but the angels of God are forcing back the evil angels, and guiding the souls away from the dangerous places, to plant their feet on a sure foundation. We should see battles going on between the two armies, as real as those fought by opposing forces on earth.” (Signs of the Times October 29, 1894)
Act Two—Joshua 10:6-8
- Anne Lamott: "There's freedom in hitting bottom, in seeing that you won't be able to save or rescue your daughter, her spouse, his parents, or your career, relief in admitting you've reached the place of great unknowing. This is where restoration can begin, because when you're still in the state of trying to fix the unfixable, everything bad is engaged: the chatter of your mind, the tension of your physiology, all the trunks and wheel-ons you carry from the past. It's exhausting, crazy-making. Help. Help us walk through this. Help us come through. It is the first great prayer." (Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers 14-15)
- Ellen White: "[We] are to contend with supernatural forces, but [we] are assured of supernatural help. All the intelligences of heaven are in this army. And more than angels are in the ranks. The Holy Spirit, the representative of the Captain of the Lord's host, comes down to direct the battle. Our infirmities may be many, our sins and mistakes grievous; but the grace of God is for all who seek it with contrition. The power of Omnipotence is enlisted in behalf of those who trust in God." (Desire of Ages 352)
- 2 Corinthians 10:4
- Sidlow Baxter: "Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our own persons—but they are helpless against our prayers."
- Ellen White: "Satan knows better than God's people the power that they can have over him when their strength is in Christ. When they humbly entreat the mighty Conqueror for help, the weakest believer in the truth, relying firmly upon Christ, can successfully repulse Satan and all his host." (Testimonies to the Church 1:341)
- John 15:5—"For without Me you can do nothing."
- Revelation 12:11—"They triumphed over him [the Satan Dragon] by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death."
- Ellen White: "Tell him [Satan] of the blood of Jesus, that cleanses from all sin. You cannot save yourself from the tempter's power, but he trembles and flees when the merits of that precious blood are urged." (Testimonies to the Church 5:317)
Act Three—Joshua 10:9-14
- John Dawson: "The prayer of a human being can alter history by releasing legions of angels into the earth. If we really grasped this truth, we would pray with intensity, and we would pray constantly." (Taking Our Cities for God 140)
YES CAN DO because HE CAN DO
Would you like an amazing summer opportunity to grow in your faith and make new friends at the same time? How about leading a GROW group? A GROW group is a small group that’s based on interest. Groups consist of 12-15 people and they meet for 10-12 weeks in convenient locations around the area. There are outdoor groups, activity groups, Mom groups, singles groups, Bible study groups—or something else entirely. You choose! In addition, you won’t be left on your own. We have a team in place to help coach and support you as you lead. To register to lead a group go to pmchurch.org/grow and click “Lead a Summer Group.” Or for more information feel free to contact me, Rodlie Ortiz, at email@example.com. You can also contact Brianna Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leader registrations will remain open until May 3rd at noon.
Students' finals week is coming very soon. PMC is scheduled to have the Soup for Students again on April 30, Tuesday. We need at least 30 people to commit to a pot of soup. You may also donate cookies and bread. Volunteers during and after the event are also needed. Please call Lailane Legoh at (269) 471-6565 by April 29, Tuesday, if you are willing to make a difference in this way. Thank you very much.
We're eager to hear about your family's experience with PMC Sabbath Schools. Whether your kids are 2, 22, or 52, completing this short survey will help us plan for children and family discipleship. Click the link below or type tinyurl.com/pmcparent1 into a browser, and fill in the online form today. Thank you!
This quarter the Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be studying 13 great prayers of the Bible. Our daily study will be guided by a template prepared by Seminary professor Teresa Reeve, one of our class’s teachers. As we learn how people in the Bible prayed and how God responded, we will also be learning better ourselves how to pray and how to use sound principles of exegesis for Bible study. If you are new to PMC or if you do not have a regular Sabbath School class, we invite you to join us each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30. To obtain a study guide, contact us at email@example.com.
Sabbaths, 10:30 - 11:30 AM
Location: Nethery Hall, Room 143
Do you have some experience giving Bible studies? Do you feel like God is looking for you to take the next step in your journey with evangelism? We’re looking for someone to help coordinate Bible study interests. If you’re open to hearing more, please contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pioneer Memorial Church is pleased to announce the beginning of its renovation project! You will soon start to see construction traffic and work being done to our roof. Our goal is to complete the project by the start of the fall school semester. In order to accomplish this our timeline needed to be adjusted. Roof work will begin on or around April 1 along with adjustments to interior lighting. For your safety, please observe all posted signage related to construction areas. For the most updated information regarding construction, safety, and use of the church, click the link below. If your question isn’t answered there, you may also email email@example.com or call the church office at (269)471-3133.
University Wellness will be having its 4th Annual Wellness Fest right after Spring Break! (March 25 - 29) You will not want to miss it! It will be a week packed with activities such as therapy dogs, pop-up food booths, pop-up workouts, a fit flash, a plank challenge and so much more! Be a part of making Andrews the healthiest University in the world!
Ten years ago Sidewalk Prophets released their first album "These Simple Truths." The songs from that album have dramatically impacted their ministry and their lives resulting in their ability to travel the world, meet amazing people, and hear powerful stories. They have been able to see Christ at work in so many ways. Today, Sidewalk Prophets wants to take those miles on the road and the stories they have heard and compiled and share them with you. Sidewalk Prophets is bringing their "These Simple Truths Tour" to Berrien Springs, Michigan. Help us spread the word! It is going to be an incredible experience!
April 28, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
This ministry provides hand-created items to the bereaved and seriously ill. We meet twice a month for fellowship and planning. Please consider joining us.
April 23, 7:00 PM
Location: MacCarty Residence (4541 Timberland Dr.)
Contact: Alice Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org | (269) 461-6815
Lyn MacCarty - (269) 471-9060 or (269) 208-3377