As a university church, we disciple AU students helping in every Sabbath School. During vacation months, substitute teachers and pianists are needed, May through August, and December, each year. Experience God through the eyes of a child by making a Sabbath School small group part of your summer adventure this year. Sign up today!
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat:"
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: Longue Durée”
- Genesis 50:15-20
- “The you planned to do to me has by God’s design been turned to .” (Genesis 50:20 New Jerusalem Bible)
- “And we know that God causes to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28 New Living Translation)
- Thomas Schreiner: “The text does not say that all things are intrinsically good or pleasant, but instead that the most agonizing sufferings and evils inflicted on believers [those who trust God] will be to their good by God. It is correct to say, then, that agathon [GK: “good”] is eschatological, since the ‘good’ will be evident and fully realized only at the end of time.” (Romans 450)
- God has the capacity to everything (no matter how evil, no matter how long) to mysteriously work together ultimately for our !
- John R. W. Stott: “‘Thus all that is negative in this life is seen to have a positive purpose in the execution of God’s eternal plan.’ is beyond the overruling, overriding scope of his providence.” “We do not always understand what God is doing, let alone welcome it. Nor are we told that he is at work for our comfort. But we know that in all things he is working towards our .” (Romans 247, 248)
- The longue durée (French for “long term”) concept of history
- The six last words of God
- No matter what happens to you in this life, remember that God’s last word is this: “ .”
- God can turn the for you into the for you.
- God can get from your “” to His “”.
- For He is El Shaddai, the (Genesis 48:3).
- In the suffering death of Jesus, God took the of the very worst and turned it into the of the very best.
- Ellen White: “All that has perplexed us in the providences of God will in the world to come be made plain. The things hard to be understood will then find explanation. The mysteries of grace will unfold before us. Where our finite minds discovered only confusion and broken promises, we shall see the most perfect and beautiful harmony. We shall know that infinite love ordered the experiences that seemed most trying. As we realize the tender care of Him who makes all things work together for our good, we shall rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory.” (9T 286 emphasis supplied)
- Walter Bruggemann: “The riddle and insight of biblical faith is that only anguish leads to life, only grieving leads to joy, and only embraced endings permit new beginnings.” (Prophetic Imagination 56)
“I can get there from here”
Would you like an amazing summer opportunity to grow in your faith and make new friends at the same time? How about leading a GROW group? A GROW group is a small group that’s based on interest. Groups consist of 12-15 people and they meet for 10-12 weeks in convenient locations around the area. There are outdoor groups, activity groups, Mom groups, singles groups, Bible study groups—or something else entirely. You choose! In addition, you won’t be left on your own. We have a team in place to help coach and support you as you lead. To register to lead a group go to pmchurch.org/grow and click “Lead a Summer Group.” Or for more information feel free to contact me, Rodlie Ortiz, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact Brianna Martin at email@example.com. Leader registrations will remain open until May 3rd at noon.
Students' finals week is coming very soon. PMC is scheduled to have the Soup for Students again on April 30, Tuesday. We need at least 30 people to commit to a pot of soup. You may also donate cookies and bread. Volunteers during and after the event are also needed. Please call Lailane Legoh at (269) 471-6565 by April 29, Tuesday, if you are willing to make a difference in this way. Thank you very much.
We're eager to hear about your family's experience with PMC Sabbath Schools. Whether your kids are 2, 22, or 52, completing this short survey will help us plan for children and family discipleship. Click the link below or type tinyurl.com/pmcparent1 into a browser, and fill in the online form today. Thank you!
This quarter the Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be studying 13 great prayers of the Bible. Our daily study will be guided by a template prepared by Seminary professor Teresa Reeve, one of our class’s teachers. As we learn how people in the Bible prayed and how God responded, we will also be learning better ourselves how to pray and how to use sound principles of exegesis for Bible study. If you are new to PMC or if you do not have a regular Sabbath School class, we invite you to join us each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30. To obtain a study guide, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sabbaths, 10:30 - 11:30 AM
Location: Nethery Hall, Room 143
Do you have some experience giving Bible studies? Do you feel like God is looking for you to take the next step in your journey with evangelism? We’re looking for someone to help coordinate Bible study interests. If you’re open to hearing more, please contact Rodlie Ortiz at email@example.com.
Pioneer Memorial Church is pleased to announce the beginning of its renovation project! You will soon start to see construction traffic and work being done to our roof. Our goal is to complete the project by the start of the fall school semester. In order to accomplish this our timeline needed to be adjusted. Roof work will begin on or around April 1 along with adjustments to interior lighting. For your safety, please observe all posted signage related to construction areas. For the most updated information regarding construction, safety, and use of the church, click the link below. If your question isn’t answered there, you may also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office at (269)471-3133.
University Wellness will be having its 4th Annual Wellness Fest right after Spring Break! (March 25 - 29) You will not want to miss it! It will be a week packed with activities such as therapy dogs, pop-up food booths, pop-up workouts, a fit flash, a plank challenge and so much more! Be a part of making Andrews the healthiest University in the world!
Ten years ago Sidewalk Prophets released their first album "These Simple Truths." The songs from that album have dramatically impacted their ministry and their lives resulting in their ability to travel the world, meet amazing people, and hear powerful stories. They have been able to see Christ at work in so many ways. Today, Sidewalk Prophets wants to take those miles on the road and the stories they have heard and compiled and share them with you. Sidewalk Prophets is bringing their "These Simple Truths Tour" to Berrien Springs, Michigan. Help us spread the word! It is going to be an incredible experience!
April 28, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
This ministry provides hand-created items to the bereaved and seriously ill. We meet twice a month for fellowship and planning. Please consider joining us.
April 23, 7:00 PM
Location: MacCarty Residence (4541 Timberland Dr.)
Contact: Alice Williams - email@example.com | (269) 461-6815
Lyn MacCarty - (269) 471-9060 or (269) 208-3377