As a university church, we disciple AU students helping in every Sabbath School. During vacation months, substitute teachers and pianists are needed, May through August, and December, each year. Experience God through the eyes of a child by making a Sabbath School small group part of your summer adventure this year. Sign up today!
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat:"
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: Sweet Revenge”
- Genesis 40-45
- Dick Tibbits: Anger—“a strong emotion of displeasure brought on by feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. . . . A very fine line separates from anger. Most people do not consider hurt and anger as even related, but they are, in fact, two different words describing the same thing. Hurt and anger are simply two sides of the same coin.” (Forgive to Live: How Forgiveness Can Save Your Life 42-43)
- “The seven deadly strategies of anger”:
- #1—Overlooking the by pretending it didn’t happen or by discounting its impact
- #2—Focusing on the unfair behavior of the .
- #3—Displacing anger on a .
- Tibbits: “Some hurt and angry people who can’t deal directly with the one who offended them—maybe that person has died, moved away, or is too intimidating—instead focus their anger on a substitute. This substitute is often weaker and therefore more likely to accept the displaced anger without expressing much (if any) objection.” (49)
- #4— the anger
- #5—Developing a mental picture of
- #6—Using drugs, alcohol, or food to the pain
- #7—Becoming about life.
- Tibbits: “Some of the worst cynics you’ll ever meet are angry people who have never effectively dealt with a deep and perhaps long-held hurt. They have become experts in scorn, ridicule, and derision. . . . They get whatever joy they can from skewering the naïve hopes of the gullible.” (51)
- Based on the science of research done at Duke University, the American Heart Association now declares a risk factor alongside other markers like cholesterol, exercise and nutrition. (Tibbits 63)
- The journal Circulation warns: “A person who is most prone to anger is times more likely to have a heart attack than someone who is least prone to anger.” (Tibbits 63)
- Patriarchs and Prophets: “They humbly confessed their sin and entreated his forgiveness. They had long suffered anxiety and remorse, and now they rejoiced that he was still alive.” (231)
- Samantha Boardman MD: “Forgiveness is linked with lower mortality rates, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, lower cortisol (the stress chemical in our brains) and a lower likelihood of developing cardiovascular disease. Forgiveness may even support a healthier immune system. In addition to physical benefits, forgiveness is associated with psychological benefits as well. Overall well-being is linked with forgiveness, as are higher quality marriages and committed romantic relationships. Forgiveness is even related to better sleep.” (http://www.everydayhealth.com/emotional-health/the-healing-power-of-forgiveness.aspx)
- If anger can kill you, clearly can heal you.
- Joseph had one choice: bitter or
- “When you refuse to forgive, you are in effect handcuffing yourself to the person who offended you, to a person you don’t even like. And you know the worst thing about that? While you wait for that person to unlock the cuffs, you are holding the key in your own hands.” (74-75)
- Anne Lamott: It’s like drinking rat poison and then waiting for the rat to die.
- Jesus: “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.” (Luke 23:34)
- Desire of Ages: “That prayer of Christ for His enemies embraced the world. It took in every sinner that had lived or should live, from the beginning of the world to the end of time. Upon rests the guilt of crucifying the Son of God. To forgiveness is freely offered.” (745)
The gift of forgiveness is the sweetest revenge of all.
Would you like an amazing summer opportunity to grow in your faith and make new friends at the same time? How about leading a GROW group? A GROW group is a small group that’s based on interest. Groups consist of 12-15 people and they meet for 10-12 weeks in convenient locations around the area. There are outdoor groups, activity groups, Mom groups, singles groups, Bible study groups—or something else entirely. You choose! In addition, you won’t be left on your own. We have a team in place to help coach and support you as you lead. To register to lead a group go to pmchurch.org/grow and click “Lead a Summer Group.” Or for more information feel free to contact me, Rodlie Ortiz, at email@example.com. You can also contact Brianna Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leader registrations will remain open until May 3rd at noon.
Students' finals week is coming very soon. PMC is scheduled to have the Soup for Students again on April 30, Tuesday. We need at least 30 people to commit to a pot of soup. You may also donate cookies and bread. Volunteers during and after the event are also needed. Please call Lailane Legoh at (269) 471-6565 by April 29, Tuesday, if you are willing to make a difference in this way. Thank you very much.
We're eager to hear about your family's experience with PMC Sabbath Schools. Whether your kids are 2, 22, or 52, completing this short survey will help us plan for children and family discipleship. Click the link below or type tinyurl.com/pmcparent1 into a browser, and fill in the online form today. Thank you!
This quarter the Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be studying 13 great prayers of the Bible. Our daily study will be guided by a template prepared by Seminary professor Teresa Reeve, one of our class’s teachers. As we learn how people in the Bible prayed and how God responded, we will also be learning better ourselves how to pray and how to use sound principles of exegesis for Bible study. If you are new to PMC or if you do not have a regular Sabbath School class, we invite you to join us each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30. To obtain a study guide, contact us at email@example.com.
Sabbaths, 10:30 - 11:30 AM
Location: Nethery Hall, Room 143
Do you have some experience giving Bible studies? Do you feel like God is looking for you to take the next step in your journey with evangelism? We’re looking for someone to help coordinate Bible study interests. If you’re open to hearing more, please contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pioneer Memorial Church is pleased to announce the beginning of its renovation project! You will soon start to see construction traffic and work being done to our roof. Our goal is to complete the project by the start of the fall school semester. In order to accomplish this our timeline needed to be adjusted. Roof work will begin on or around April 1 along with adjustments to interior lighting. For your safety, please observe all posted signage related to construction areas. For the most updated information regarding construction, safety, and use of the church, click the link below. If your question isn’t answered there, you may also email email@example.com or call the church office at (269)471-3133.
University Wellness will be having its 4th Annual Wellness Fest right after Spring Break! (March 25 - 29) You will not want to miss it! It will be a week packed with activities such as therapy dogs, pop-up food booths, pop-up workouts, a fit flash, a plank challenge and so much more! Be a part of making Andrews the healthiest University in the world!
Ten years ago Sidewalk Prophets released their first album "These Simple Truths." The songs from that album have dramatically impacted their ministry and their lives resulting in their ability to travel the world, meet amazing people, and hear powerful stories. They have been able to see Christ at work in so many ways. Today, Sidewalk Prophets wants to take those miles on the road and the stories they have heard and compiled and share them with you. Sidewalk Prophets is bringing their "These Simple Truths Tour" to Berrien Springs, Michigan. Help us spread the word! It is going to be an incredible experience!
April 28, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
This ministry provides hand-created items to the bereaved and seriously ill. We meet twice a month for fellowship and planning. Please consider joining us.
April 23, 7:00 PM
Location: MacCarty Residence (4541 Timberland Dr.)
Contact: Alice Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org | (269) 461-6815
Lyn MacCarty - (269) 471-9060 or (269) 208-3377