Pioneer Memorial Church is working together with the Michigan Conference to bring Fieldwork to Southwest Michigan. Join us on March 28-29, 2020. Fieldwork is a home improvement initiate to be Love on the Move in our community. We are asking for two things. 1. Join our $100 challenge to be apart of the team going to fix up someone's home. 2. If you would like to nominate a non-member who is needing home improvements please send their name and contact information to the email provided below. For more information, or to register visit www.fieldwork.love or contact email@example.com.
Roommates, Bad Dates, and Soul Mates
Roommates, Bad Dates, & Soulmates-Part 2
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Roommates, Bad Dates and Soul Mates”—2
» Family Tree #1—Matthew 1:1
»Family Tree #2—Matthew 1:21
- JESUS&SEX #1—God it.
- Matthew 19:4-6
• Brigham Young University studied 2035 married people:
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
- Better .
• Mike Mason: “Is there any other activity at all which an adult man and woman may engage in together (apart from worship) that is actually more childlike, more clean and pure, more natural and wholesome and unequivocally right than is the act of love making? . . . Surely is the deepest communion that is possible between human beings.” (The Mystery of Marriage: As Iron Sharpens Iron 121)
• JESUS&SEX #2—We have it.
- Matthew 5:27-28
• How the enemy deceives us into denting this gift?
- Pornographic sex is sex marriage—sex usually with yourself.
- Premarital sex is sex marriage—sex with someone else.
- Extramarital sex is sex of marriage—sex with someone who isn’t your spouse.
• Lust simply defined means—”I gotta have it .”
• The Rooster and the “Coolidge Effect”
• Jennifer Schwirtzer: “The point of this story is that sexuality, especially male sexuality, tends to be novelty-driven. Male rats will copulate, then tire and stop sexual activity until scientists drop a new female rat into the cage, when suddenly the male feels his mojo return. He will continue to copulate with each partner until he literally dies of exhaustion. Clearly, this novelty-driven sexuality moves in the opposite direction from God’s plan of long-term faithfulness to one partner.” (13 Weeks to Love 63)
• A proverb: “Why buy the cow, if you can get the milk for ?”
• “Just the right amount of wrong.”
• Proverbs 6:25, 27, 32—”Do not lust in your heart after her [his] beauty or let her [him] captivate you with her [his] eyes. . . . Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? . . . But a man who commits adultery has no sense; whoever does so destroys himself.”
“I Then Shall Live”
I then shall live as one who’s been forgiven.
I’ll walk with joy to know my debts are paid.
I know my name is clear before my Father;
I am His child and I am not afraid.
So, greatly pardoned, I’ll forgive my brother;
The law of love I gladly will obey.
I then shall live as one who’s learned compassion.
I’ve been so loved, that I’ll risk loving too.
I know how fear builds walls instead of bridges;
I’ll dare to see another’s point of view.
And when relationships demand commitment,
Then I’ll be there to care and follow through.
Your Kingdom come around and through and in me;
Your power and glory, let them shine through me.
Your Hallowed Name, O may I bear with honor,
And may Your living Kingdom come in me.
The Bread of Life, O may I share with honor,
And may You feed a hungry world through me.
—David Phelps/Gloria Gaither
Come join the Kettering Praise Orchestra as they present a Celtic Celebration. Under the direction of their conductor, Donald Huff, the program will feature stories and songs from Ireland. Featured guests will include Steve Martin (Irish Whistle), Jeremy Winton (tenor), Greta Shull (soprano), and the University of Dayton trombone trio, and the concert will be hosted by Paddy McCoy. Join us for this celebration of life, love and hope that is Celtic Celebration!
March 14, 8:00 PM
Please join Claudio Gonzalez and friends for an evening of chamber music. The program will feature two emblematic pieces for string sextet: Brahms’ “Sextet Op. 18” and a period version of Mozart’s “Symphonie Concertante.” Before coming to Andrews University to conduct the orchestra program, Claudio Gonzalez’s main professional activity was chamber music. Over the years he has met many friends and colleagues who share his passion for chamber music. Two of those individuals, cellist German Marcano and violinist Carla Trynchuk, with three outstanding students from the Department of Music, violinist Stephanie Guimaraes, violist Shania Watt and cellist Grant Steinweg, will join Gonzalez on Saturday evening.
February 29, 8:00 PM
Be a part of something special at this year’s Easter Passion Play located on the campus of Andrews University on April 11. In order to make this event a success, we need your help. Actors (speaking and non-speaking roles) are still needed, as well as costume assistants, greeters, logistics support, registration assistants, photographers and more. Bring the whole church to be part of the crowd at the crucifixion, or volunteer to be a Roman guard. Whatever you may be interested in, we would love to have your help! Visit passionplay.andrews.edu.
All eighth grade students are invited to attend Academy Day March 10. Come see the exciting programs Andrews Academy offers and experience one day with us. While there you will worship together, go to a number of classes with academy students, and participate in a number of games and activities. Lunch will be served, T -shirts and prizes will be given. Registration begins at 7:30 am, the full day of activities will begin at 8:00 am and will conclude by 3:15 pm. There will be a optional dodgeball and pizza supper to follow.
Call (269) 471-3138 with any questions you may have.
March 10, 8:00 AM
Location: Andrews Academy
All are invited to a swim and gym night at the new wellness center! This event is brought to you by your Family Life Committee.
February 29, 7:30-9:30 PM
Location: Andreasen Center for Wellness
Simply known as “The Voice,” Sandi Patty is one of the most highly acclaimed performers of our time with five Grammy Awards, four Billboard Music Awards, three platinum records and five gold records. Sandi is the most awarded female vocalist in contemporary Christian music history with 40 Dove Awards. Join us for an evening with Sandi Patty as she shares her message of hope, life and love.
March 8, 7:00 PM
Students who will be in the 1st through 8th grade next school year are invited to visit RMES on March 10. Make friends, meet teachers and have fun!
Grades 1-6: 8:15 - 11:30 a.m.
Grades 7-8: 8:15 - 3:30 p.m.
Parents, please call 269-471-3225 to register.
(A special Kindergarten Visitor's Day is planned for April 1)
Adriana Perera is professor of music theory and composition at Andrews University. She is a prolific composer with her main interest being sacred music. This concert of her compositions will be performed by various guest artists. Also performing will be the University Singers, conducted by Stephen Zork, and the Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Chris Wild.
April 4, 8:30 PM
The Nagilah Grace Jewish Folk dance group is looking for recruits of all ages to perform in the Andrews University Passion Play. To learn dance moves that date back to King David's time, come join us at 4:00-6:00 pm every Sunday afternoon in the Neighbor to Neighbor Community Center. Please feel free to come even if you cannot be at pratice for the whole time. If you would like more information, please contact Doug Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org.