Each month one of the various denominational churches in Berrien Springs collects food to be distributed on Fridays by Backpacks for Berrien to Berrien Springs public school students who otherwise may not have much to eat over the weekend. January is PMC’s month. The food must be packaged in individual serving sizes. No cans or bottles. By the types of food we select to donate, we can even make a health statement. Here are the healthful items on the Backpacks’ food list: fruit cups, pasta, rice, beans, nuts, protein bars. Food can be brought to the church and placed in the collection box in the lobby.
Tales from a Vineyard
Making Love in the Vineyard-An Old Song
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and one granddaughter.
More In This Series
“Tales from a Vineyard: Making Love
in the Vineyard—An Old Song”
»A Love Song in the Vineyard
• Song of Solomon 1 & 8/Isaiah 5:1-7
»A Parable about the Vineyard
• Matthew 21:33-43/John 15
»This may be the most important truth you have yet to learn:
• John 15:1-5, 8, 16
• Jesus talks about “fruit” seven times.
• What kind of fruit?
• Craig Keener: “In Palestine, the grapes ripen in late summer as the shoots stop growing and the bark changes from green to darker shortly before the vintage of August or September. Yet John writes figuratively; of what sort of fruit does the passage speak? . . . [T]he immediate context . . . suggests fruit.” (The Gospel of John: A Commentary 2:997)
• Galatians 5:22-23—“But the fruit of the is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
• Desire of Ages: “The life of Christ in you produces the same as in Him. Living in Christ, adhering to Christ, supported by Christ, drawing nourishment from Christ, you bear fruit after the similitude of Christ.”(677)
• Acts of the Apostles: “The sap of the vine, ascending from the root, is diffused to the branches, sustaining growth and producing blossoms and fruit. So the life-giving power of the , proceeding from the Saviour, pervades the soul, renews the motives and affections, and brings even the thoughts into obedience to the will of God, enabling the receiver to bear the precious fruit of holy deeds.” (284)
• But what about pruning (John 15:2)?
• Hebrews 5:8—“During the days of Jesus' life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the One who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission. Son though He was, He learned obedience from what He .”
• 2 Corinthians 12:8-10—“Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ . . . That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am , then I am strong.”
• Philippians 3:10—“I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His , becoming like Him in His death.”
• Hebrews 12:10-11—“Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness [“Become like Me”]. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces the of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained [pruned] by it.”
• 2 Timothy 3:12—“Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus [connected to the Vine] will be [pruned].”
• Mark 10:30—Jesus promises all who give up all to follow Him will be rewarded a hundred times as much in this life with “ .”
• The point: we won’t get through this life without being .
• Desire of Ages: “The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart.  There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God.  The excessive foliage that draws away the life current [sap] from the must be pruned off.  The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant.” (677)
• Andrew Murray: “Christian, pray for grace to see in every trouble, small or great, the Father’s finger pointing to Jesus, and saying, Abide in Him! . . . A believer may pass through much affliction and yet secure but little blessing from it all. Abiding in Christ is the secret of securing all that the Father the chastisement to bring us.” (Abiding in Christ 122-123)
• “I will put my in Him.” (Hebrews 2:13)
• “Prune me, dear Father, that there may be more fruit . . . in my life . . . for Your glory.”
You gotta have fruit!
We are now accepting Community Supported Agriculture memberships for the 2019 season. Sign up to receive Certified Naturally Grown fresh vegetables and fruits delivered to your doorstep weekly. We are also taking orders for nursery plants for home gardeners. All of our plants are from Certified Organic seed and grown in Certified Organic soil. Click the link below for details. Call or text Shelli at (269) 277-3621 with questions. We look forward to providing you with high quality healthy food.
Contact: Shelli - (269) 277-3621
Come and join your church family for some fun playing games in Johnson Gym and swimming in the Beatty Pool. Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
January 19, 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Location: Johnson GYM & Beaty Pool
1) Pray for the children, youth, their parents, teachers, and the leaders in the Sabbath School classes.
2) Order Rada Cutlery and Gifts—Affordable and durable. Proceeds go directly to Harbor of Hope.
3) Order Citrus Fruit for yourself and/ or a food pantry like Harbor of Hope, Neighbor to Neighbor, or God's Abundant Pantry. Just make a note of where you want it to go on your check memo line. Order it by mid-January. Proceeds also go to Harbor of Hope.
4) To help and support children and youth of Harbor of Hope contact: Terry Trecartin at firstname.lastname@example.org or (423) 645-5684, 2601 Pixley Ave., Saint Joseph, MI 49085.
The Pioneer Media Team is looking for new audio and video technicians for its local media ministry. If you want to use your talents to have a positive impact on the world through digital evangelism and learn new things while sharpening your technical skills, email email@example.com. Volunteer teams rotate every 3rd Sabbath and are asked to volunteer for both services on their scheduled Sabbath.
Join Timeless Tours this coming June 8-21 for an adventure to the biblical lands of Jordan and Egypt. Featuring Andrews University professors Robert Bates - Archaeologist and Egyptologist, and Stefanie Elkins - Archaeologist and Art Historian. This all inclusive tour, which includes RT airfare, features visits to Jerash, Petra, the baptismal site of Jesus, the Valley of the Kings, The Great Pyramids of Giza, a hot air ballon ride, and cruise on the Nile! Cost is $4950.00 per person based on double occupancy.
Grief Share, a support group for those who are hurting or suffering the loss of a loved one, is available in January. The group meets at the Village Church on Sundays from 4:00-6:00 PM. Contact Shirley Gammon for more information or to register for the first session.
Sundays, 4:00 - 6:00 PM
Location: Village SDA Church
Contact: Shirley Gammon (989) 427-5669