As a university church, we disciple AU students helping in every Sabbath School. During vacation months, substitute teachers and pianists are needed, May through August, and December, each year. Experience God through the eyes of a child by making a Sabbath School small group part of your summer adventure this year. Sign up today!
Tales from a Vineyard
Making Love in the Vineyard-An Old Song
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Tales from a Vineyard: Making Love
in the Vineyard—An Old Song”
»A Love Song in the Vineyard
• Song of Solomon 1 & 8/Isaiah 5:1-7
»A Parable about the Vineyard
• Matthew 21:33-43/John 15
»This may be the most important truth you have yet to learn:
• John 15:1-5, 8, 16
• Jesus talks about “fruit” seven times.
• What kind of fruit?
• Craig Keener: “In Palestine, the grapes ripen in late summer as the shoots stop growing and the bark changes from green to darker shortly before the vintage of August or September. Yet John writes figuratively; of what sort of fruit does the passage speak? . . . [T]he immediate context . . . suggests fruit.” (The Gospel of John: A Commentary 2:997)
• Galatians 5:22-23—“But the fruit of the is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
• Desire of Ages: “The life of Christ in you produces the same as in Him. Living in Christ, adhering to Christ, supported by Christ, drawing nourishment from Christ, you bear fruit after the similitude of Christ.”(677)
• Acts of the Apostles: “The sap of the vine, ascending from the root, is diffused to the branches, sustaining growth and producing blossoms and fruit. So the life-giving power of the , proceeding from the Saviour, pervades the soul, renews the motives and affections, and brings even the thoughts into obedience to the will of God, enabling the receiver to bear the precious fruit of holy deeds.” (284)
• But what about pruning (John 15:2)?
• Hebrews 5:8—“During the days of Jesus' life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the One who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission. Son though He was, He learned obedience from what He .”
• 2 Corinthians 12:8-10—“Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ . . . That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am , then I am strong.”
• Philippians 3:10—“I want to know Christ and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His , becoming like Him in His death.”
• Hebrews 12:10-11—“Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in His holiness [“Become like Me”]. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces the of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained [pruned] by it.”
• 2 Timothy 3:12—“Everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus [connected to the Vine] will be [pruned].”
• Mark 10:30—Jesus promises all who give up all to follow Him will be rewarded a hundred times as much in this life with “ .”
• The point: we won’t get through this life without being .
• Desire of Ages: “The pruning will cause pain, but it is the Father who applies the knife. He works with no wanton hand or indifferent heart.  There are branches trailing upon the ground; these must be cut loose from the supports to which their tendrils are fastening. They are to reach heavenward, and find their support in God.  The excessive foliage that draws away the life current [sap] from the must be pruned off.  The overgrowth must be cut out, to give room for the healing beams of the Sun of Righteousness. The husbandman prunes away the growth, that the fruit may be richer and more abundant.” (677)
• Andrew Murray: “Christian, pray for grace to see in every trouble, small or great, the Father’s finger pointing to Jesus, and saying, Abide in Him! . . . A believer may pass through much affliction and yet secure but little blessing from it all. Abiding in Christ is the secret of securing all that the Father the chastisement to bring us.” (Abiding in Christ 122-123)
• “I will put my in Him.” (Hebrews 2:13)
• “Prune me, dear Father, that there may be more fruit . . . in my life . . . for Your glory.”
You gotta have fruit!
Would you like an amazing summer opportunity to grow in your faith and make new friends at the same time? How about leading a GROW group? A GROW group is a small group that’s based on interest. Groups consist of 12-15 people and they meet for 10-12 weeks in convenient locations around the area. There are outdoor groups, activity groups, Mom groups, singles groups, Bible study groups—or something else entirely. You choose! In addition, you won’t be left on your own. We have a team in place to help coach and support you as you lead. To register to lead a group go to pmchurch.org/grow and click “Lead a Summer Group.” Or for more information feel free to contact me, Rodlie Ortiz, at email@example.com. You can also contact Brianna Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org. Leader registrations will remain open until May 3rd at noon.
Students' finals week is coming very soon. PMC is scheduled to have the Soup for Students again on April 30, Tuesday. We need at least 30 people to commit to a pot of soup. You may also donate cookies and bread. Volunteers during and after the event are also needed. Please call Lailane Legoh at (269) 471-6565 by April 29, Tuesday, if you are willing to make a difference in this way. Thank you very much.
We're eager to hear about your family's experience with PMC Sabbath Schools. Whether your kids are 2, 22, or 52, completing this short survey will help us plan for children and family discipleship. Click the link below or type tinyurl.com/pmcparent1 into a browser, and fill in the online form today. Thank you!
This quarter the Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be studying 13 great prayers of the Bible. Our daily study will be guided by a template prepared by Seminary professor Teresa Reeve, one of our class’s teachers. As we learn how people in the Bible prayed and how God responded, we will also be learning better ourselves how to pray and how to use sound principles of exegesis for Bible study. If you are new to PMC or if you do not have a regular Sabbath School class, we invite you to join us each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30. To obtain a study guide, contact us at email@example.com.
Sabbaths, 10:30 - 11:30 AM
Location: Nethery Hall, Room 143
Do you have some experience giving Bible studies? Do you feel like God is looking for you to take the next step in your journey with evangelism? We’re looking for someone to help coordinate Bible study interests. If you’re open to hearing more, please contact Rodlie Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pioneer Memorial Church is pleased to announce the beginning of its renovation project! You will soon start to see construction traffic and work being done to our roof. Our goal is to complete the project by the start of the fall school semester. In order to accomplish this our timeline needed to be adjusted. Roof work will begin on or around April 1 along with adjustments to interior lighting. For your safety, please observe all posted signage related to construction areas. For the most updated information regarding construction, safety, and use of the church, click the link below. If your question isn’t answered there, you may also email email@example.com or call the church office at (269)471-3133.
University Wellness will be having its 4th Annual Wellness Fest right after Spring Break! (March 25 - 29) You will not want to miss it! It will be a week packed with activities such as therapy dogs, pop-up food booths, pop-up workouts, a fit flash, a plank challenge and so much more! Be a part of making Andrews the healthiest University in the world!
Ten years ago Sidewalk Prophets released their first album "These Simple Truths." The songs from that album have dramatically impacted their ministry and their lives resulting in their ability to travel the world, meet amazing people, and hear powerful stories. They have been able to see Christ at work in so many ways. Today, Sidewalk Prophets wants to take those miles on the road and the stories they have heard and compiled and share them with you. Sidewalk Prophets is bringing their "These Simple Truths Tour" to Berrien Springs, Michigan. Help us spread the word! It is going to be an incredible experience!
April 28, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
This ministry provides hand-created items to the bereaved and seriously ill. We meet twice a month for fellowship and planning. Please consider joining us.
April 23, 7:00 PM
Location: MacCarty Residence (4541 Timberland Dr.)
Contact: Alice Williams - firstname.lastname@example.org | (269) 461-6815
Lyn MacCarty - (269) 471-9060 or (269) 208-3377