As a university church, we disciple AU students helping in every Sabbath School. During vacation months, substitute teachers and pianists are needed, May through August, and December, each year. Experience God through the eyes of a child by making a Sabbath School small group part of your summer adventure this year. Sign up today!
Charmed into Righteousness
The Most Loving God
DVDsTo purchase a DVD of this sermon please visit our online shopping cart. Proceeds go to support the New Perceptions media ministry.
Buy DVD Online Buy series
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
More In This Series
“Charmed into Righteousness: The Most Loving God”
- John 13:1—“Having loved his own, he them to the end.”
- John Peckham: “Profound love is connoted by the expression ‘to the end,’ likely connoting both and . Herman N. Ridderbos renders it ‘love to the last breath’ and ‘love in the highest intensity.’. . . Further, Christ’s love is here described as ‘for his own,’ a term of to near relations’ in some ancient Near Eastern literature.” (The Love of God: A Canonical Model 149-150)
- Jeremiah 31:3—“‘I have [aheb] you, my people, with an everlasting [ahabah]. With unfailing [chesed] I have drawn you to myself.’”
- Genesis 29:18—“Jacob was in [aheb] with Rachel and said, ‘I’ll work for you seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel. . . . So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his [ahabah] for her.”
- God seizes the language of two and declares—that is how much I love you—with the passion of a Lover.
- John Peckham: “Scripture consistently displays God’s intensely and profoundly emotional love for his people.” (147-148)
- 2 Samuel 1:26—“‘I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your [ahabah] for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women.’”
- God seizes the language of two and declares—that is how much I love you—with the deep love of a friend.
- Exodus 34:6, 7—“And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, ‘The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in [chesed] and faithfulness, maintaining [chesed] to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished.’”
- Jeremiah 31:20—“‘Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great [racham] for him,’ declares the LORD.”
- John Peckham: “This language depicts profoundly passible [capable of feeling] and intense emotionality, evidenced by the Hebrew idiom . . . which literally refers to turbulent or roaring internal organs and here ‘depicts God’s being churned up with longing for his son.’” (153)
- We have but a faint and dim concept of how the love of God is for us.
- “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem—how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.” (Matthew 23:37)
- “Turn! Turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?” (Ezekiel 33:11)
- “Ephraim is joined to idols; leave him alone!” (Hosea 4:17)
- 1 John 4:8, 16—“God is .”
- Romans 5:8—“But God demonstrates His own for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
- 1 John 3:1—“See what great the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God!”
- 1 John 4:10—“This is love: not that we loved God, but that he us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.”
- John 3:16—“For God so the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- Romans 8:35, 38-39—“Who shall separate us from the of Christ? . . . For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- John 15:13—“Greater has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”
- Ellen White: “The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of [God’s] character of .” (Christ’s Object Lessons 415)
“The Maker of all things loves and wants me.”
Would you like an amazing summer opportunity to grow in your faith and make new friends at the same time? How about leading a GROW group? A GROW group is a small group that’s based on interest. Groups consist of 12-15 people and they meet for 10-12 weeks in convenient locations around the area. There are outdoor groups, activity groups, Mom groups, singles groups, Bible study groups—or something else entirely. You choose! In addition, you won’t be left on your own. We have a team in place to help coach and support you as you lead. To register to lead a group go to pmchurch.org/grow and click “Lead a Summer Group.” Or for more information feel free to contact me, Rodlie Ortiz, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact Brianna Martin at email@example.com. Leader registrations will remain open until May 3rd at noon.
Students' finals week is coming very soon. PMC is scheduled to have the Soup for Students again on April 30, Tuesday. We need at least 30 people to commit to a pot of soup. You may also donate cookies and bread. Volunteers during and after the event are also needed. Please call Lailane Legoh at (269) 471-6565 by April 29, Tuesday, if you are willing to make a difference in this way. Thank you very much.
We're eager to hear about your family's experience with PMC Sabbath Schools. Whether your kids are 2, 22, or 52, completing this short survey will help us plan for children and family discipleship. Click the link below or type tinyurl.com/pmcparent1 into a browser, and fill in the online form today. Thank you!
This quarter the Bible Journey Sabbath School class will be studying 13 great prayers of the Bible. Our daily study will be guided by a template prepared by Seminary professor Teresa Reeve, one of our class’s teachers. As we learn how people in the Bible prayed and how God responded, we will also be learning better ourselves how to pray and how to use sound principles of exegesis for Bible study. If you are new to PMC or if you do not have a regular Sabbath School class, we invite you to join us each Sabbath from 10:30 to 11:30. To obtain a study guide, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sabbaths, 10:30 - 11:30 AM
Location: Nethery Hall, Room 143
Do you have some experience giving Bible studies? Do you feel like God is looking for you to take the next step in your journey with evangelism? We’re looking for someone to help coordinate Bible study interests. If you’re open to hearing more, please contact Rodlie Ortiz at email@example.com.
Pioneer Memorial Church is pleased to announce the beginning of its renovation project! You will soon start to see construction traffic and work being done to our roof. Our goal is to complete the project by the start of the fall school semester. In order to accomplish this our timeline needed to be adjusted. Roof work will begin on or around April 1 along with adjustments to interior lighting. For your safety, please observe all posted signage related to construction areas. For the most updated information regarding construction, safety, and use of the church, click the link below. If your question isn’t answered there, you may also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office at (269)471-3133.
University Wellness will be having its 4th Annual Wellness Fest right after Spring Break! (March 25 - 29) You will not want to miss it! It will be a week packed with activities such as therapy dogs, pop-up food booths, pop-up workouts, a fit flash, a plank challenge and so much more! Be a part of making Andrews the healthiest University in the world!
Ten years ago Sidewalk Prophets released their first album "These Simple Truths." The songs from that album have dramatically impacted their ministry and their lives resulting in their ability to travel the world, meet amazing people, and hear powerful stories. They have been able to see Christ at work in so many ways. Today, Sidewalk Prophets wants to take those miles on the road and the stories they have heard and compiled and share them with you. Sidewalk Prophets is bringing their "These Simple Truths Tour" to Berrien Springs, Michigan. Help us spread the word! It is going to be an incredible experience!
April 28, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
This ministry provides hand-created items to the bereaved and seriously ill. We meet twice a month for fellowship and planning. Please consider joining us.
April 23, 7:00 PM
Location: MacCarty Residence (4541 Timberland Dr.)
Contact: Alice Williams - email@example.com | (269) 461-6815
Lyn MacCarty - (269) 471-9060 or (269) 208-3377