The Tai Chi class that meets in the James White Library on Wednesdays at 4:30 will be suspended until April 16. It will resume on April 17.
SpeakerDwight K. Nelson
Since 1983, Dwight Nelson has served as lead pastor of the Pioneer Memorial Church on the campus of Andrews University. He preaches on the “New Perceptions” telecast, teaches at the theological seminary and has written some books, including The Chosen. He and his wife, Karen, are blessed with two married children and 2 granddaughters.
□ The Commission: Seven Versions
- Mark 16:15—“ into the world and preach the gospel to creation.”
Matthew 28:19—“ and make disciples of nations, baptizing them in the
name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
- Clark Pinnock: “The triune God is a God. The Father sends the Son
- and the Spirit into the world (Gal 4:4-6). His heart reaches out to embrace it. He gives himself up in becoming human and thus moves history toward redemption. Here is the basis for the unity of humankind and the salvation of the world.” (A Wideness in God’s Mercy: The Finality of Jesus Christ in a World of Religions 78)
- Luke 24:47, 48—“Repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in [My] name to nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are of these things.”
- John 20:21—“As the Father has Me, I am you.”
Acts 1:8—“You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be
My in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the
Paul—“I [Christ Jesus] am you to [the pagans], to open their eyes and turn
them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God.” (Acts 26:17, 18)
The Great Commission of the Old Testament—“I [the LORD] will make you a light for the
, that My salvation may reach to the ends of the .” (Isaiah 49:6/Acts 13:47)
God is clearly SOLD OUT on my becoming a to the world!
□ The Commission: Four Common Denominators
- David Platt: “Must we insist on dividing the Great Commission into an either-or proposition? Who told us that we had to choose to have a heart for the United States or
- a heart for the world? . . . Because from cover to cover the Bible teaches that the church—not just select individuals, but the church—is created to reflect the glory of God to the world.” (Radical 76, 77)
Clark Pinnock: “Of the two axioms underlying the theology of religions, the first
consists of the boundless of God which makes possible an optimism of salvation; the second axiom consists of the finality of as the decisive manifestation and ground of God’s grace toward sinners . . . . This means that universality (salvation for the world) is reached by way of particularity (salvation through Jesus) in Christianity.” (A Wideness in God’s Mercy 49)
- John Stott: “I have never been able to conjure up (as some great evangelical missionaries have) the appalling vision of the millions who are not only perishing but who will inevitably perish. On the other hand, as I have said, I cannot be a universalist. Between these extremes I cherish the hope that the of the human race will be saved.” (quoted in Pinnock 35)
- Jesus: “And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw people to Me.” (John 12:32)
- Clark Pinnock: “Of the two axioms underlying the theology of religions, the first
- Thus the Great Commission is a - —i.e, it is not a mission you do by yourself, but rather it is a mission you do Jesus.
- Christ’s Object Lessons: “At the foot of the cross, remembering that for sinner Christ would have laid down His life, you may estimate the value of a soul.” (196)
- Messages to Young People: “His death ought to stir every fiber of the being, making us willing to consecrate to His work that we have and are.” (315)
Will you GO GLOBAL with the GOSPEL for GOD?
Pioneer Memorial Church is pleased to announce the beginning of its renovation project! You will soon start to see construction traffic and work being done to our roof. Our goal is to complete the project by the start of the fall school semester. In order to accomplish this our timeline needed to be adjusted. Starting Monday, March 25, scaffolding will begin to be assembled on the north and south sides of the church. Roof work will begin on or around April 1 along with adjustments to interior lighting. For your safety, please observe all posted signage related to construction areas. For the most updated information regarding construction, safety, and use of the church, please go to www.pmchurch.org/renovate/updates . If your question isn’t answered there, you may also email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church office at (269)471-3133.
University Wellness will be having its 4th Annual Wellness Fest right after Spring Break! (March 25 - 29) You will not want to miss it! It will be a week packed with activities such as therapy dogs, pop-up food booths, pop-up workouts, a fit flash, a plank challenge and so much more! Be a part of making Andrews the healthiest University in the world!
This event is one of the highlights of the year for our campus and community. Each year we have about 5000 or more visitors who attend. There will be about 20 international clubs and organizations participating as vendors, and there will be a large variety of food. Purchase your tickets for food at the entrance of the Johnson Gymnasium. Come experience the celebration of food from around the world.
March 31, 12:00 - 7:00 PM
Location: Johnson Gym
Tickets are now available at the Howard Center Box Office or online. Free Admission but tickets are required. The United States Air Force Band of Mid-America Concert Band represents the professionalism and excellence found every day throughout the Air Force. This diverse, 45-piece ensemble's repertoire ranges from symphonic band masterworks to traditional marches, to modern compositions, to pops and jazz. During a concert, you are likely to hear stirring works from contemporary composers as well as the familiar sounds of John Philip Sousa or Major Glenn Miller. The band also features a talented vocal soloist, performing a wide variety of popular, classical and patriotic selections.
April 8, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
Experience the thrilling story of Jesus—a staged storytelling of the entire Gospel of Mark returns to South Bend. Save the date and invite your friends and family to experience Jesus. Free admission. It will be held at South Bend First SDA Church, 1936 Altgeld Street, South Bend, IN.
April 13, 5:00 PM
Location: South Bend First SDA Church
Ten years ago Sidewalk Prophets released their first album "These Simple Truths." The songs from that album have dramatically impacted their ministry and their lives resulting in their ability to travel the world, meet amazing people, and hear powerful stories. They have been able to see Christ at work in so many ways. Today, Sidewalk Prophets wants to take those miles on the road and the stories they have heard and compiled and share them with you. Sidewalk Prophets is bringing their "These Simple Truths Tour" to Berrien Springs, Michigan. Help us spread the word! It is going to be an incredible experience!
April 28, 7:00 PM
Location: Howard Performing Arts Center
The Pioneer Traffic Team is in need of volunteers to commit one Sabbath a month to help with the flow of traffic during Sabbath services. If interested or for more information, call or text (732) 379-1300.
Kindergarten Parent Night at RMES
Come meet Mrs. Curnutt and check out the developmental, hands-on program. Get a $50 coupon for tuition credit. Enjoy refreshments & meet other parents.
April 2, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Location: Ruth Murdoch Elementary School
Kindergarten Visitor's Day at RMES
There will be singing & worship, crafts & stories, P.E. & music classes, play in some of 20+ centers and have outdoor play time.
April 3, 8:15 - 11:30 AM
Location: Ruth Murdoch Elementary School
Call (269) 471-3225 to register.
We need an individual willing to volunteer 8-10 hours per week to keep the WIN! Wellness web site updated. If you are interested or need to ask questions, please contact Candice at the email provided. Please make application to John Youngberg and Candice Hollingsead at the following email address. Tell us why you are interested and what skills you can bring to the task.
Contact: Candice Hollingsead - email@example.com